Ontario Emission DriveClean Test

Page 2 of 2

What sucks is: that one old Olds is doing more polluting than 30 good running cars.
-
If the vehicle is 1987 and older it will be exempt since its last required testing was 2 yrs ago. If the vehicle is 1988 and newer it will have to be tested until it reaches the federally reconized age to classify as "antique" which is 30 years old. So my 89 chev "B" body wagon has to be tested until 2019.
Of course this is also dependant on where you live some regions still dont have to do testing.
Snow...
Joseph wrote:

umm.... There is one problem though. I just happen to buy this 1987 car off someone else. So that means it must pass emission before I can get it plated and drive it. I am thinking of just let it sit for 3.5 months (Oct,Nov,Dec) then when the clock rolls over to 2007. Right now I have another beater to drive. I will take the safety certificate to the MTO and get it plated. That is if we are all correct about it not requiring an emission in 2007. What do you think.
Snow wrote:

"If your car is a 1987 or earlier model, it leaves the program permanently when it is 20 years old."
"2006 testing year. vehicles required to be tested: 2001 1999 1997 1995 1993 1991 1989 1987 "
Take your car in this year and your done with the cash grab forever....
Snow...

Wonder how many of those Plymouth K cars I see on The Red Green Show are still riding around Canada....covered in duct tape...(c;
--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.
Larry wrote:

mentioned in the first response:
The exemption for 20-year-old light-duty vehicles is ending as we begin to focus more on the vehicles most likely to pollute. All cars, 1988 model year and newer, will require emissions testing until they are taken out of service. These vehicles would have had their last test for registration renewal in 2007, when they were 19 years old. They will now need to continue to be tested in 2009 and ever two years after that.
sorry to bear bad news...thehick
re-read the site... everything 1987 and older is excempt after the 2006 year..
Like I said... 1988 and newer have to go and betested until they reach historic staus.
Snow...

No, its last required testing is this year. The OP will discover this when he goes to get his annual sticker.
In Ontario, you get your sticker renewal notice about 90 days in advance, giving you lots of time to get something done about it.

Wrong. There is no such DriveClean definition as "antique". Read the DriveClean website's description. The ONLY allowance for emissions exemption for a post-'87 car is "historic vehicle". And with the advent of Premier McSquinty, THEY tell YOU what constitutes a "historic vehicle. Simply achieving 30 years old does *NOT* make a car ipso facto exempt from smog checks.
Now if we throw McSquinty's Commies out in the next election, maybe we can coax the the next bunch of wanna-be despots into reinstating the 20- year rolling exemption... Hey guys, remember this at the polls.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

whoops.. yes it needs its final test this year, after which it is excempt..

Antique status.. historic status ... close enough.. the end result is the same and there is a provision under the "highway traffic act" to allow for such a status..

model years from all test requirements when they reach 30 years of age, if they receive designation as historic vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act."
"A historic vehicle is defined in Regulation 628 under the Highway Traffic Act. It is a specially-plated motor vehicle "at least 30 years old" that is "operated on a highway only in parades, for purposes of exhibition, tours or similar functions organized by a properly constituted automobile club, or for purposes of repair, testing or demonstration for sale" and is "substantially unchanged or unmodified from the original manufacturer's product".
Owners of a vehicle at least 30 years old can also apply to the Ministry of Transportation to attach Year of Manufacture plates to the vehicle. The Year of Manufacture plates are Ontario number plates that were issued during the year of manufacture of the motor vehicle. Vehicles with a Year of Manufacture licence plate are not restricted in their operation and have the same privileges as a standard passenger licence plate.
More information on Year of Manufacture Plates can be obtained from the Ministry of Transportation."
Snow...