Ontario's 10-DAY TRIP PERMIT (question)

What is included in the 10-DAY TRIP PERMIT that you obtain from the Ministry of Transportation? I just picked up another vehicle and haven't done the paper works to transfer the plate from my old vehicle
to this one I just bought. However I was able to obtain a 10 day trip permit. When I applied for the 10-DAY TRIP PERMIT they asked for my insurance policy from my old car, which I gave them. So the question is, am I covered by the insurance company when I drive this car I just bought using the 10-DAY PERMIT? Or do I still have to call the insurance company and give them the details about the new vehicle. I want to take my time do things properly.
Regarding transferring the license plate from my old vehicle to the new one, its just a trip to the Ministry of Transporation right? Do I have to do anyting else? Once that's done, I can no longer drive the car legally on the road, but I can get a 10-day-permit for that one if i need to drive it to the junk yard to drop it off, or to allow anyone who want to buy the old car to test drive it. Right? Thanx

Seems to me you would want to ask these questions of your insurance company and the Ministry of Transportation. Usenet newsgroups aren't the best, or even a very good place to seek this type of advice.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Joseph wrote:

Get out your insurance policy and read it!

They ask for your insurance as a way to prove that you actually may have some. Your insurance slip has an expiery date, the ministry assumes that your insurance is up to date until that date is reached. So to short answer your question, NO you do NOT have insurance on that vehicle, what you may have and this depends on your company and policy type, you may have coverage on yourself as the driver, but not on the car.

Yes it is better to call them now with all the info then after something happens.

You will need to get a safety done at an authorized shop and depending on the year of the new vehicle you may have to get an emission test done, then you get to pay tax.

Correct, if your going to sell the old vehicle and want to allow potential buyers to test drive it, then you should try and schedule all test drives to fit into the first 9 days of that permit, this leaves one day for you to drive it the boneyard.
What did you buy and what are you getting rid of?
Snow....
First you should start out here I think it will answer all your questions www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.htm
Snow...

Long story short, if you haven't told your insurance company you have a new vehicle, then it isn't insured. Temp plate or not, if you get in an accident, you are screwed.
80 Knight wrote:

Hi...
Not in Ontario, I'm in Manitoba where insurance and registration are bundled; but 35 years ago when I lived in Ontario we had to prove that we had insurance before we could get a new plate. Is it not still much the same? And if so, wouldn't the possession of the windshield "plate" be evidence of insurance?
Take care.
Ken

When I bought my last car, all they wanted was my insurance company's name, and my policy number. They didn't check to see if it was valid, they just wanted to see it. However, from what the Original Poster said, it seems that his last car is still insured, while his new car isn't. You can't just buy a new car, slap a temp plate on it and all of a sudden, its insured. You have to contact your insurance company and have the cars switched over.

In the US, these things can vary by state. Some companies will insure you for some short period of time in any case. Here in CT, you won't get a registration until you have an insurance card from your insurance company or broker. In the case of liability, you may be covered driving any car at any time.