Open letter to GM

Keep in mind...GM doesn't manufacture fuel pumps. It was supplied by an outside manufacturer, and very well could be the same manufacturer that supplies them to the Japanese. As for me, I haven't ever had a bad GM car. Had a 1978 Celica that slung a rod at 38000 miles though!

Reply to
J Grant

Isaiah Beard wrote in news:M3Mjd.714$sc3.633 @fe36.usenetserver.com:

The good ol' days.........like in the Great Depression, when an Okie could nurse a Model T with his household belongings strapped to the chassis across the Mohave Desert into California to pick apples. Ever see a Model T engine up close? Simple to the point of existentialism. All ya need to fix it is some bailing wire and some river water when she boils over going up the grades.

Reply to
Justin

The reason certain car makers continue to make unreliable cars is that people continue to buy them. American cars are less expensive on the day you buy them, but are they cheaper in the long run after you factor in repairs, resale value, and your time and trouble to fix it when it breaks? Sadly, American auto manufacturers still have some way to go in competing with some of their foreign competition. My grandparents just bought a 1-year old Buick LeSabre at half the cost of when it was new, and already one of the power window switches doesn't work. Their previous (low-mileage) Buick had a broken motor mount and leaked transmission fluid. My dad's previous Buick had a broken motor mount and broken power seat switch. I had a Saturn a few years ago and the power windows failed and EGR valve failed at just over 42,000 miles. Conversely, EVERYTHING worked properly on the

10-year old Nissan that I just sold, with 153,000 miles. In three years and over 60,000 miles I put a total of less than $1,000 into it, all occurring at over 100,000 miles and 7 years of age. It's great to be a proud American (I certainly am) but that doesn't mean you have to perpetuate low quality with your hard-earned money! I wish I could buy an American car that I could trust to not nickel and dime me to death in unscheduled maintenance, leave me stranded, and drop in value faster that a "Kerry in 2004" bumper sticker. Lastly, what is more amusing is that many "import" cars are build here in America while "domestics" are built in another country. Hmmm...

Reply to
Rickster

That is a common misconception. Actually few, as a percentage, of the foreign cars sold in the US are actually built in the US. Look at the first number of the VIN. A '1' indicates it is built in the US of at least 70% American parts. A '4' means it is only assembled in the US of less than 70% of America parts but more than 40% American parts. A '5' means it is only assembled in the US of less that 40% American parts. Camrys and Tundras for instance have a '5.' On the other hand the vast majority of domestic are built in the US and show a '1' or a least a '2,' built in Canada of 70% American parts

mike hunt

Rickster wrote:

Lastly, what is more

Reply to
IleneDover

Yeah right....as dipity do GeeDubya sends jobs overseas ...

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Bush was Pres in 98 when jobs started going overseas?

Reply to
Eugene

After years of buying Japanese cars, in 2000 I buy a $40,000 GMC Yukon XL, thinking GM quality had improved. Today at 25,000 miles (4-1/3 years old) the fuel pump failed.

The cost to repair: $730.

This is the first time I've ever had a fuel pump fail. My Japanese cars all had at least 100,000 miles on them before being sold.

I see no excuse for such an early failure of this expensive part.

I guess the next vehicle will not be another GM no matter how sweet the rebate. George Litwinski

"It's good to want things."

S. Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic.Net programmer)

Reply to
GRL

Final follow-up: GM's word was good. The $350 check for 1/2 the total reapir came last week. Not as good as the fuel pump not failing until

100,000+ miles (which is what should happen), but better than nothing by a lot. I guess I'll keep using the GM card to accumulate $ toward another GM car purchase.

- GRL

GRL wrote:

lady, Christine, there who listened to my story and outrage at the fuel pump going out so quick. She said that because I had it repaired at an independent shop, albeit an extremely reputable one, there would be difficulty in getting GM to kick in for the repair. Nevertheless, she said she'd try. Today I returned a call she had left and she asked me to send in some documentation. It seems that GM is game to split the cost of the repair with me. We'll see.

programmer)

Yukon XL, thinking GM quality had improved.

cars all had at least 100,000 miles on them before being sold.

Reply to
nopcbs