Open letter to GM

Page 3 of 3
The reason certain car makers continue to make unreliable cars is that people continue to buy them. American cars are less expensive on the day you buy them, but are they cheaper in the long run after you
factor in repairs, resale value, and your time and trouble to fix it when it breaks? Sadly, American auto manufacturers still have some way to go in competing with some of their foreign competition. My grandparents just bought a 1-year old Buick LeSabre at half the cost of when it was new, and already one of the power window switches doesn't work. Their previous (low-mileage) Buick had a broken motor mount and leaked transmission fluid. My dad's previous Buick had a broken motor mount and broken power seat switch. I had a Saturn a few years ago and the power windows failed and EGR valve failed at just over 42,000 miles. Conversely, EVERYTHING worked properly on the 10-year old Nissan that I just sold, with 153,000 miles. In three years and over 60,000 miles I put a total of less than $1,000 into it, all occurring at over 100,000 miles and 7 years of age. It's great to be a proud American (I certainly am) but that doesn't mean you have to perpetuate low quality with your hard-earned money! I wish I could buy an American car that I could trust to not nickel and dime me to death in unscheduled maintenance, leave me stranded, and drop in value faster that a "Kerry in 2004" bumper sticker. Lastly, what is more amusing is that many "import" cars are build here in America while "domestics" are built in another country. Hmmm...

That is a common misconception. Actually few, as a percentage, of the foreign cars sold in the US are actually built in the US. Look at the first number of the VIN. A '1' indicates it is built in the US of at least 70% American parts. A '4' means it is only assembled in the US of less than 70% of America parts but more than 40% American parts. A '5' means it is only assembled in the US of less that 40% American parts. Camrys and Tundras for instance have a '5.' On the other hand the vast majority of domestic are built in the US and show a '1' or a least a '2,' built in Canada of 70% American parts
mike hunt
Rickster wrote:

Lastly, what is more

The fuel pump was probably made in Singopre, Mexico or some other foreign land.
GM Ignition parts for mothers Caddy - Made In Singapore.
Blah!
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,726 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
The whole Yukon XL was made in Mexico.
No excuse. Your supplier will build whatever you tell him to make...to whatever specs you demand. No matter where the supplier exists.
George Litwinski

I thought they were built at the Baltimore plant.
| > The fuel pump was probably made in Singopre, Mexico or some other | > foreign land. | > | > GM Ignition parts for mothers Caddy - Made In Singapore. | > | > Blah! | > | > ========| > Harryface | > ========| > | > 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE | > 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey | > _~_~_~295,726 miles_~_~_ | > | > ~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_ | > | > ~~~The Former Fleet ~~~ | > 89 Cavalier Z 24 convertible | > 78 Holiday 88 coupe | > 68 LeSabre convertible | > 73 Impala sedan | > | > | > | > | > | > | > | |
In 2000, they were built in Mexico or Wisconsin. Don't know about now.

I contacted GM's customer satisfaction number and spoke to a nice lady, Christine, there who listened to my story and outrage at the fuel pump going out so quick. She said that because I had it repaired at an independent shop, albeit an extremely reputable one, there would be difficulty in getting GM to kick in for the repair. Nevertheless, she said she'd try. Today I returned a call she had left and she asked me to send in some documentation. It seems that GM is game to split the cost of the repair with me. We'll see.
Not as good as the thing not having broken, but not awful, either.
This will put GM back on my potential buy list for future vehicles. George Litwinski
"It's good to want things."
S. Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic.Net programmer)
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>After years of buying Japanese cars, in </FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>2000 I buy a $40,000 GMC Yukon XL, thinking GM quality had improved.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Today at 25,000 miles (</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>4-1/3 years old) the f</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2>uel pump failed.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The cost to repair: $730.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This is the first time I've ever had a fuel pump fail. My Japanese cars all had at least 100,000 miles on them before being sold.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I see no excuse for such an early failure of this expensive part.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I guess the next vehicle will not be another GM no matter how sweet the rebate.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><I><FONT face="Rage Italic LET" color=#0000ff size=6> <P>George Litwinski</P></I></FONT><FONT size=2></FONT><I><FONT face=Tahoma color=#ff0000 size=5> <P>"Its good to want things."</P></I></FONT><FONT face=Tahoma> <P></FONT><FONT face=Tahoma size=2>S. Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic.Net programmer) </P></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Final follow-up: GM's word was good. The $350 check for 1/2 the total reapir came last week. Not as good as the fuel pump not failing until 100,000+ miles (which is what should happen), but better than nothing by a lot. I guess I'll keep using the GM card to accumulate $ toward another GM car purchase.
- GRL
GRL wrote:

lady, Christine, there who listened to my story and outrage at the fuel pump going out so quick. She said that because I had it repaired at an independent shop, albeit an extremely reputable one, there would be difficulty in getting GM to kick in for the repair. Nevertheless, she said she'd try. Today I returned a call she had left and she asked me to send in some documentation. It seems that GM is game to split the cost of the repair with me. We'll see.

programmer)
Yukon XL, thinking GM quality had improved.

cars all had at least 100,000 miles on them before being sold.

the rebate.

programmer)