opinion of Lucas Oil Treatment

What do you think of Lucas Oil Treatment in,

  1. New engines

  1. Engines with 100,000 +

Reply to
Tim & Linda

IMO, nothing but snake oil.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I looked up their MSDS.. They say it is nothing but refined petroleum. They make a lot of claims, and have a fair amount of support.

Facts are, you dont really need any additives to good oil, changed often.

If your engine is varnished or mucked, then maybe this would be worth a try as a cleaner. I use Mystery Marvel Oil in the same way, but dont run it in the crankcase as a rule. It has a pretty good track record of cleaning valve lifters, removing varnish, etc. Rule 1

-Change your oil and filter often Rule 2

-Change your oil and filter often Rule 3

-Change your oil and filter often

Reply to
<HLS

-Change your oil and filter often

Have to agree, it's nothing but "mouse milk". I've used Lucas in differentials but never in an engine. If you use good quality oil and change the oil and filter on a regular basis, you'll get maximum mileage out of the engine.

Rich B

At best a waste of money. At worst .... never mind.

Use a properly formulated and tested oil for a well known supplier. If you really want to feel like you are doing something special for your ride, buy a good synthetic (in most situations you are still doing more for your ego than for your vehicle by doing so, but that is another story).

Stay away from all of the BS mystery crap for your oil, fuel tank, spark plugs, etc.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I was going to put an oil treatment in my van. My father,wrote and instructed not to.His reasoning was, it would be very thick, and block the oil path. To smaller ports internally. I decided to heed his advice.And forgot about the bottle in the back of the van.It leaked.And put out the stickiest mess. It was thick as honey. I'm glad I didn't pour it in my engine. As thick as it was. It defiantly would have hindered oil flow.

Reply to
4545

What will happen if you DON'T use it?

Reply to
James Goforth

Use a littler heavier grade of oil after one hundred thousand miles and change it often. Skip the additives.

Reply to
4545
304,619 miles without adding any miracle cure's, but I do throw a quart of Marvel Myster Oil in once / twice a year, I liked the old tin cans they used to come in & the oil smells great. Wish I could still find the round 16 ounce can.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,688 91 Bonneville LE 304,619
Reply to
Harry Face

Yes, it does smell nice. And it seems to do well at quieting lifters, removing varnish, etc. I use it occasionally as an engine flush additive. Since I changed from Quaker State (basically Pennzoil) I dont seem to have the varnish problems I had earlier.

I am very convinced that the use of good quality oil, and frequent changes, is the key to minimizing engine problems. This is all anecdotal, but it works for me.

Reply to
<HLS

Frequent changes is the key. When a stripped drain bolt required oil pan replacement in 2000 the inside of the Bonneville's oil pan was spottless upon removal.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,672 91 Bonneville LE 304,656
Reply to
Harry Face