Opinion Wanted: Grand Prix vs Intrigue

Hey all. As you may already know, I currently own a 1991 Bonneville SSE. She's loaded to the tilt, but I am seriously considering upgrading to either a Pontiac Grand Prix or a Olds Intrigue. The year range I am thinking of is

97-98 (the GP's got there 'new' look in '97, and I like that the '97-98 Intrigue's come with the 3800 instead of the 3.5L that they got later in life). What are your opinions on these two vehicles? I am not into the supercharged 3800, as gas prices are out of this world, but as I said, I do want the 3800. I like options, so sun roof is good. I don't care what model the car's are, as long as they are loaded (but I do hate the bottom of the line SE on the GP). Basically what I am asking is what are the major differences? I know the GP is more sportier then the Olds, but what else? Sound system differences? Ride differences? Handling differences? From what I know, they are basically the same car, with the Olds being more luxury and the GP more sportier...but what else?...One more thing...What do you also think of these two cars compared to my '91 Bonnie SSE?

Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks all.

Reply to
80 Knight

The supercharged engine isn't as thirsty as you might have been led to believe (a lot depends on your right foot). The Olds is targeted at an "Old'er" crowd, the Pontiac at a younger crowd with the corresponding initial owners and setups. Just for fun try calling your insurance company and see if there's any premium difference between the two if you don't care about the label. might save a $ or 2

Mechanically and structurally they're pretty similar however simple suspension tuning and interior changes can make for quite a difference. You'll have to live with the car you get so it'll be wise to test drive a few first to clarify the differences. I like the comfort (hence my choice in the Olds) but I could certainly live with a Bonneville SSEi if I "had" to.

Reply to
Full_Name

You'll have better headroom in the 91 SSE. Some gripes I remember reading about the Olds was a poor windsheild defroster. Also there are some knobs down low that are hard to reach because the shift lever blocks them somewhat. The trunk was big & wide with non intrusive hinges.

The GP in 97 ( I think ) had a problem with the headlight lenses falling off. I know some years had bad water leaks in the cowl area. I think the GP had some issues with the power steering rack as well.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~294,824 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Thanks for the opinions. :-)

Reply to