OT - 1957 Plymouth Belvedere To Be UnEarthed

A story about this 1957 Plymouth Belvedere buried in Tulsa, Oklahoma, was posted several months ago, but today (Friday June 15th 2007) is the day the car will be lifted up from 3 feet below ground. The Belvedere was buried in a cement vault in 1957, to be taken out in 50 years.

Here's the official page for the event:

The last article I read said they actually removed the top of the vault a couple of days ago, to check things out (such as the metal supports under the car, used to lift it out) before they try to remove it. They found 3-4 feet of water, which wasn't a good sign, but they say back in 1957 the car was protected with 3 layers of rust/water protectant, so it may just have held together. The car will be removed from the vault at 12pm, and will be put on display at 6:30pm. There are links on the official page to view everything live.

Just wanted to let everyone know, incase it seems of interest to them. I personally, can't wait to see what it will look like after 50 years, and what all is in the car's glove box and trunk.

Reply to
80 Knight

I think it was very interesting as well, I watched some of their video clips earlier and now am waiting for the "unveiling". I have a feeling it's going to be a rust bucket underneath, Boyd already said it's not looking too good.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

I watched the unveiling, or most of it. The car itself wasn't in too good shape. Lot's of rust, and the engine was toast, but they did find the time capsule inside the car, and the stuff in it was in mint shape, with no signs of water damage. IMHO, regardless of the condition of the car, it was still an impressive thing to see. I can't wait until 2037 when they unbury the Plymouth Prowler that they buried in 1997.

Reply to
80 Knight

The vault leaked and the car was sitting in 2 or 3 feet of water. The car was a rust bucket inside and out. If they had built the vault better and had it leak proof the car may very well had been in decent condition. But what can we really have expected with 1957 wault building technology? I was surprised that they even had bulldozers and cranes back then to build the vault. I thought they only had hand shovels back then.

Reply to
Huck Flynn

They also said that the water had been as high as the car's roof at some point, meaning for an unknown period of time, the entire car was submerged. As for the vault, from what I have seen and read regarding this, they did everything they could back in 1957, however, nothing is perfect. At least the capsule from the trunk was water-tight.

Reply to
80 Knight

They still uncover treasures from a thousand years ago that have been well preserved. The technology certainly was available in 1957.

As for the bulldozers and cranes, they were just invented a week before they built this thing. The wheel was just invented in about 1940 so they did make a lot of progress.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

1998/2048.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

I think the Prowler they buried in 1998 will probably be in much better shape in 2048 than this poor 57 ended up being. Newer technology, building materials, etc.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

I thought the actual time capsule was outside the car, they removed it from the "vault" separately.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

I think that whoever built that vault should be sued. I watched them unveil that car and my heart sunk when I saw all the water damage. So after all that work and 50 years of time we still really don't know what the condition of the car would have been if it remained in dry condition. Thats 50 years of time wasted, down the drain.

Reply to
Huck Flynn

They said during one of the shows it was buried in 1997, due out in 2037.

Reply to
80 Knight

It was in the trunk, as far as I know.

Reply to
80 Knight

Just in case I'm marking both dates on my calendar. I may make it that long. I probably won't be driving at 103 though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ummmm.... let's think about this. 50 years in dry conditions - what do you think that would have resulted in? Geezus - let off a little. It's a freakin' car in a concrete vault. You're making this out as if it were a life and death situation. In the scheme of things, is this really all that important?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

That's only 40 years. I heard them say they buried the prowler in 98 for its unearting in 2048. Maybe someone else said something different on another video,

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Couldn't have been. The car was still covered. Look again at the pics, that thing sitting behind the car that looks like the car took a shit and it was the result, THAT was the real "time capsule" that they opened with a saw and those contents were intact.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

That's my mistake.