OT: Driving/Cell Phone advice

Any advice on how to drive 80 mph on the expressway with one hand holding a cell phone and trying to reach over for a note pad in the glove box so I can write something important down. I think I can still bottom steer with my knee.

I just activated a Motorola TracFone today. Now I too can look important !

LOL.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~299, 876 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

You'll get the hang of it.

Reply to
« Paul »

Oh come on now, us women can do our hair, put our makeup on, change the baby's diaper, vacumm the back seat plus much more while driving and you are wondering how to use a little cell phone?

Reply to
Jan

You might, seriously, look for an over the ear type "headset". Very light and not distracting. I put my cell phone in a cup holder, and plug in the headset before taking off. If I get a call, I can slip the headset over my ear, press answer, and then both hands are available for driving, and because I am not holding something to my ear there is no blind spot created... best course is to just wait and pull over to take it though, if in traffic.. let voice mail deal with it.

Reply to
Merlin

I remember my father driving through rush hour traffic in Salt Lake City with a hamburger in one hand, milkshake in the other, using only his knees. So yes you can do it!

Reply to
Scott

i make ure that when i'm dialing, i quickly look at the keypad, move my finger there and while pressing it, i look up. i do this for each number. this way i'm never tempted to look away from traffic for too long. and when i pass a policeman, i put the phone down. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

I managed to drive my manual transmission S10 while using the CB and eating Wendy's chicken nuggets many times. Managed to stand up and go in a paper cup while holding the gas pedal (no cruise control).

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Please don't wear a seatbelt. Thus your family will be able to donate your organs.

Tony

Reply to
Tony VE6MVP

You call that flailing about the road driving?

Reply to
Paradox

Yep, and thats why I saw a Grand Am with less than a foot between the driver and passenger side doors and a body bag being loaded up into the meat wagon....

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I personally never use my cell phone when driving but am amazed at what it looks like others are doing while driving.

Reply to
Jan

Try this very simple test. In the middle of a tv show you are very interested in you get a phone call. The duration of the call is at least 2 minutes. After you finish the phone call try and recall exactly what went on in the tv show while you were on the phone. Your eyes saw images but your brain was otherwise occupied.

If you are busy enough to be yakking on a cell phone then you are simply too busy to be driving.... at any speed.

I just activated a Motorola TracFone today. Now I too can look important !

LOL.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~299, 876 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Rufus T. Firefly

BINGO! It isn't anywhere near the same as chatting with someone riding with you. Plus either side you hold a cell phone blanks your peripheral vision for that entire side of the vehicle. I think folk using cell phones while driving should be pulled over, have to drop their pants and jam it up their ass right there on the side of the road.

Reply to
FBR

HOORAY! I am for this solution! No lubricant either! If you need a phone for emergencies with the kids etc., fine BUT PULL OFF THE ROAD TO ANSWER IT!

Reply to
Bob D.

"Bob D." wrote in news:5Kydncq snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

A tragic example of cell phone use resulted in a teenager losing control and losing his life yesterday. Seems he was trying to send a text message while driving.

Reply to
tango

And I have someone at work who texts while driving their forklift. He should have the forklift jammed up his pooper.

Vuarra

Vuarra