OT: My GM rant

Page 2 of 2

I think they tried to get cheap by using galvanized steel instead of stainless steel, but discovered too late that it was an inferior material to use. Hence had to replace them all anyways and cost them even MORE money than if they had done it right the first time.
Paradox wrote:

I wonder how often cost-cutting turns out to be counter-productive in the long run.
John
Sounds like you guys need to get away from alt.autos.gm and migrate over to
alt.autos.hondas.toyotas.suck
You would be happier. Good luck with your asian crap.

I see enough Toyotas and Hondas breaking down and spewing blue smoke here :P. Just the other week my neighbors Camry just up and died on them and my other neighbor has a Camry that she's been trying to get a problem fixed but the dealer is acting like they don't have to do anything.
I'd never buy an asian car unless it's tons better then the domestic stuff.
Phillip Schmid wrote:

My point exactly. Some of these people don't seem to get it, do they. If it goes round and round, it's gonna break down. I followed a BMW down the road the other day burning oil like crazy. It layed down a smoke screen at every red light. Funny, if TOYotas and Hondas and Acuras etc never broke, why do they have service departments at those dealerships? Must be for oil changes and wiper blades ;-p

I donno my '87 300Z Turbo seems to be working pretty well (knock on wood)
Any car if you don't take care of it will fall apart.
On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:58:42 GMT, "Phillip Schmid"

vehicle on that tailgate cable, until they failed, then spent $20.00 replacing them.
Here's an internal example.... I recently retired after 40 years, 35 as an electrician in one of their plants. We used 100's of small proximity switches on the machines and material handling systems in the plant. The purchasing department discovered that they could buy untested switches at a "savings" of $20.00 per switch, so they did. How much did they save when 20% of the switches were bad right out of the box and had to be replaced at a cost of 20 minutes additional downtime? How much money was "saved" when we were told not to do a repair properly, just get the system to run until the end of the shift? If it failed again on the next shift, that's their problem, not ours. All that cash could have been used to design and build better vehicles, but it was thrown down the drain.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> The purchasing

And the purchasing genius who came up with that plan probably got a raise as well!
John
<snip>
My, My, another GM rant. How original.

I didn't make you read it did I? If you don't like it too bad.

No, you didn't. No, really, you didn't. Ok, maybe I read the first sentence. Maybe we should rename the NG to <alt.autos.anti-gm>. H

Nah, like I said in the first post I want to see GM succeed. If I was really anti-GM we'd have no GMs. As it is we have 6 of them right now. One of the 87 Silverados is the offroading truck with 258k miles on it and still works fine. It got replaced in late 2000 with 254k miles on it. Every other GM we keep till it hits 100k-120k miles and when we sell them they're still going strong.
On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:48:15 +0000, Phillip Schmid wrote:

I'm running a 92 Caprice 305 with almost 380k on it, original tranny/engine and just replaced the timing chain/radiator/water pump. Other than the typical starter/alternator/fuel pump and routine stuff the car runs like a top.
However, WHY THE HECK DOES GM CURVE EVERYTHING?
IOW WHY, do they seem to put brackets, and then put bends and curves in them with razor sharp edges, so they obstruct other items?
It's obvious they do it on purpose to make servicing a nightmare.
Example: The AIR injection system, used for about the first 5 minutes of running yet has more plumbing than the typical loo. The stainless steel tubes are curved right at the exact spot necessary to block the spark plug holes and reuire a "rubber ratchet" to get the plugs out.
Why is the starter obstructed with some enormous bracket that has hidden bolts/nuts that are embedded inside the frame and have to be accessed via holes in the frame. Add to that the sizes are all different, and metric and it becomes another nightmare. It is all done by feel and blind. A horror.
Done on purpose.
That's my beef with GM.
Other than that, my rice burner friends are lucky to get 125k out of their tin boxes before they start burning oil like mad and fall apart.

Sounds like the lumberjack who claimed he'd had the same axe for 25 years......
He only replaced the head three times, and the handle 5 times.....
<rj>
On Wed, 11 May 2005 14:24:56 -0700, <RJ> wrote:

Do you have any idea how many rotations an alternator has to endure in 100k miles? How about a starter? Fuel pump?
I'd say 2 alternators/starters/fuel pumps in 380k miles is pretty dammed good. Note: I was only disabled once from these, when the fuel pump totally crapped out. The original at about 150k miles. Had to get towed home and naturally I had a full 23 gallons of gasoline in the tank :(
The other parts were predictive maintenence. IOW: Alternator rattling due to bearing failure. Starter not engaging all the time and getting worse.
I have YET to see a Jap car endure what my car has. There is a reason NYC taxis use Caprices and Crown Vics. Hit a pothole in NYC with a Corolla and look in the rear view mirror at your entire strut laying on the ground.
Jap cars are designed to run 100k trouble free, and usually they do, but after that they croak and parts cost is insane!!
Why does a Toyota Camry ignition module cost $400 when my GM one cost $19.95 and I can pick it up off the rack at Autozone?
A Honda distributer? Another $400 when my GM one cost $99.00 and is beefy...
An air cleaner hose for a Mazda MPV which had a minor hole in it and caused the engine to run like crap, $125.00 and it looked like the hose on my Hoover.....
These are tales taken from my co-workers who all drive at least 30k a year and some do much more.
The only cars that hold up are carefully chosen American cars or Volvos...
Sure GM/Ford/Chrysler make some major bombs,but the Japs are making shit cars and selling them at premium prices to fools in USA who think they are somehow better.
If I am going to pay 30k for a car it better say BMW on it!

That doesn't sound too bad at all. If you look at the S-10s and S-15s (or whatever GMC called them) with the 4.3, the steering shaft is right in the way of the spark plugs. They make it a bit complicated under the hood, but nothing no one can't figure out if they spend enough time looking and enough time pulling and cursing :P