OT; Snowy Day = Dumb Driver

Page 1 of 2
Well it was another snowy day in Chicago today. When the snow flies the brain shuts down on some drivers. Here's today story -
Snowing out, somewhat, and just a dusting on the street. Good traction
still.
I'm waiting in a left turn lane to turn onto southbound Roberts Road. Speed limit is 35. I'm car # 4 in line, finally traffic clears and we begin to move. Car #1, a Camary LE takes off and is long gone. Car # 2 a lady in a Dodge Stratus, Car # 3, a Ford Explorer & I actually make the green light.
Explorer takes the left lane, the Stratus in the right & me in the right - behind the Stratus. The Stratus drifts over to the right into a Right Turn Only lane that goes into a mall. Brain alert - I want to go straight ,
Stratus swerves back into the right lane. I debate about blowing the horn, but don't. Running at barely 30 mph. Bonneville about 10 feet behind Dodge. Inching closer hoping the Dodge goes faster. It doesn't .
Looking ahead, I see a real nice " Gap " between the Explorer's rear bumper & the front bumper of the Stratus. I can fit between them.
I move over behind the Explorer who is doing around 40. After I move over to the left the gap between them is closing up - Stratus starts to go faster now. I look over and give the lady " tilted head & rasied eyebrow look " .
A car comes off the side street from the left and gets in front of the Explorer, causing it to slow up. I move over to the right to avoid having to slow down, but I have to slow down anyway because the Stratus decides to slow up now that I'm behind her.
The car in front of the Explorer turns left after only going 1 block. The Explorer speeds back up to 40 mph, so I get back behind the Explorer, who is only about 10 feet ahead of the Stratus. The Stratus starts to speed up to.
The right turnsignal starts blinking on the Explorer and it moves over in front of the Stratus. Ha, ha, ha lady !
I start to pass by the Stratus, The Explorer in slowing up, looking for an address no doubt. I speed up to about 47 mph thinking the Stratus will move over, but she doesn't
I get 1 block away, 2 blocks away, 3 blocks away from them and the Explorer still has the right turnsignal blinking, moving slowly with the Stratus still following directly behind it !. No other traffic is back there.
Finally after traveling three blocks the Explorer reaches 107th Street, it moves all the way over into the left turn lane with its right turnsignal still blinking, and turns left onto 107th Street.
Stupid woman in the Stratus plays her game of speeding up & slowing down to keep me from getting around her. Then when I do get by her, she gets stuck behind the truck when it moves over, but she has ample room to move over & pass it - but she doesn't !
I wish I had some kind of electronic lazer zapper you could aim at a car, pull the trigger & ZAP ! there goes the electronics and the car dies and comes to a halt.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:44:51 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

let me summarize... everybody else is a bad driver. my car handles great in the snow and i am a great driver. ...thehick
Add pictures here
✖

You must live on Long Island!!!! <SMILE> !!!!
Add pictures here
✖
frank-in-toronto wrote:

Actually, yes. I made sure I have Blizzaks on my Regal, and had no problem in snow. I do have problems with other drivers who have no clue that snow tires are real and are much better than all season radials.
I like the idea that Québec sent up a trial balloon about where snow tires would be manditory in winter.
Add pictures here
✖
Interesting point. Years ago I read a study (commishioned by Goodyear, IIRC) that said all season tires were actually better than snows, in all but deep virgin snow. Has this changed? Anyone got any expertise here?
(Harry

Add pictures here
✖
A lot depends on the ambient temperature. Winter tires and snows have rubber better suited for lower temperatures than A/S tires.
mike hunt
Joseph Roche wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Wierd... I was in Chicago today and this guy in a Bonneville... :-) LOL
The sad part is I see this happen every day. I admit to doing dumb things - it's only been a couple of weeks since I pulled out in front of an 18 wheeler! - but the lack of attention on the highways can be downright frightening! How many times are we running along on cruise, or maintaining spped without it, and pass that same car 8 times in 20 miles?!? BTW, I was riding with one of those once (once was enough). He was all over the place with his speed - he would see a car in the distance, run up on their bumper, slow and follow for a while, then pass and do the same to the next car up. I suggested he should look into figuring out the cruise, he said he didn't need it. I say he did!

Add pictures here
✖
Ya did good, Harry. -- markwb 2001 Bonneville SLE
Add pictures here
✖
Heh, that's everyday here. It gets on my nerves too. But I don't always handle it so smoothly, and do a stupid thing or two myself.
But I can say that thus far I haven't had an accident. (or caused one)
Tony
Add pictures here
✖
What gets on my nerves are the people who have to park in the 'fire lane' right in front of shopping malls because they are too lazy to walk an extra 50 feet from the regular parking spots.
--

Rob

"Tony V." < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
✖
I second that. It is a violation of the fire code in most states and actually pretty serious if the fire marshal can be bothered about it. Trouble is so many violators for so brief a time and so few fire marshals.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:49:24 -0600, "Rob G"

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Add pictures here
✖
Unless those 'Fire Zone' 'No Parking' and 'Stop' signs are on a public street or roadway with in the mall, the signs are not enforceable. State Driving regulation do not apply on private property. One does not need a drivers license to drive on private property, even if it is open to public use. One does not need a drivers license to drive a golf cart. ;)
mike hunt
SgtSilicon wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
I think you are confusing two separate issues. You are correct that driving regulations, including stop sings and no parking signs, are not enforceable on private property (in general, there are seemingly some exceptions). However, try telling the police that properly posted handicapped parking spots are not enforceable on private property sometime. The fact is those are enforceable, even on private property. None of that, however, has anything to do with the fire code. The fire code says a fire lane shall not be blocked, private property or not is not relevant. In fact, such buildings that the law requires fire lanes for, most often are not public property (just places which handle lots of the public). Another example is a lot of retail businesses or strip malls, at least around these parts, like to engage in this practice of locking certain doors that exit out. Like on double door sets they will only bother to unlock an relock ONE of the two door set (apparently to save time and effort). This is, however, in most cases a definite no no to the fire code. Lots of people think that many aspects of the fire code are over paranoid or silly, but when a crowded place catches on fire the reason for these things becomes crystal clear (especially in cases where the code was violated).
Anyway, I certainly know laws can vary from state to state, so I'm speaking to as I understand them to be in Wisconsin. And since I'm not a lawyer, my understanding of the law in my locale could be less than perfect. I just hope this helps out anyone that thinks anything goes just because it's private property, because often it doesn't go that way.
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 09:23:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Add pictures here
✖

Ever seen what Fire Trucks do when they come on a fire scene and cars block the fire lane?
Push 'em outta the way fast, without regard to damage to the vehicle...
(having seen it happen, but not to my car - I warned those dummies, LOL)
A car blocking a fire lane is fair game for the FD to move anyway they can and FAST!!!
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)
Add pictures here
✖
munir wrote in alt.autos.gm

Or if you park in front of a fire hydrant, you are likely to have the fire hoses run through your car. Even if you had it locked and the windows rolled up.
--
Dick #1349
"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Think it was an old episode of cops where they were running fire hoses thru some guy's car who was park in front of a hydrant. Then when he came out of the store, they gave him an earful and a handful of tickets, LOL...
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)
Add pictures here
✖

How could they run a hose "through" a car? You mean through the windows? Why not just run the hoses under the car or around it? Maybe the hoses can't be run around the car because they might kink or something.
Add pictures here
✖
Justin <nog> wrote in

Take a look here to see the photo:
http://projectile.is.cs.cmu.edu/life/images/fun2/firehose.jpg
Add pictures here
✖
Awesome. I love it.
wrote:

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Add pictures here
✖
I used to be a volunteer a few years back and have you ever tried bending a piect of 3 inch hose with 80 to 120 psi of water going through it. It is a pain in the ass to hold a 1.5 by yourself.

Add pictures here
✖