OT; Snowy Day = Dumb Driver

Page 2 of 2
Or in this case... a pain in the glass. I love that picture.
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 05:30:03 -0700, "sidewinder"

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
All of that may be true but the fact remains that a cop can not give you a ticket, on private property for a violation of the motor vehicle code, unless the violation is listed in the criminal code as well.
mike hunt
Dick C wrote:

dunno where you live, but all laws here are codified under what's called MSA and this includes the MN version of the uniform vehicle code.
Wouldn't matter about the parking ticket if the FD moves your car forcibly as you'd be up on interferring with a fire or some such other felony, which may void the Ins. having to pay for your stupidity in parking where you shouldn'ta hadn'ta oughtn'tve in the first place. Not to mention your having to pay for any damage to the pumper when it rams your beater into the ditch, LOL...
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)
Most states publish a common statute book that carries both the criminal code and the motor vehicle code. What does that have to do with my post that says a cop can not issue a summery motor vehicle citation on private property? I would suggest you read you states MV code for yourself, then decide. In the majority of states only a few motor vehicle violations are subject to citation on private property, like homicide by motor vehicle and the driver is committing a first class felony. ;)
mike hunt
munir wrote:

the point is moot as I never get tickets...
Things like registration, here in MN anyway, are subject to ticketing. You cannot have an unlicensed car on private property unless garaged. You can be ticketed for the offense (usually a petty mis.) but they may not tow you.
I learned many years back that the no parking zone starts in the middle of the signpole. I argued that ticket down to $3 with a hearing officer, but once I knew where it starts, I never park near the signs, LOL...
I had an accident once in a McDonald's parking lot and the other driver flagged down a cop who was eating lunch. He verified that accidents occuring off road did not have the reporting requirements that an on road one does.
I also learned long ago that if you're in an uncontrolled intersection accident, and the other party takes photographs of your skidmarks, all he can prove in court is that you tried to stop and he didn't - won that won going away, LOL.
A ticket for "operating defective equipment" is not subject to points on your record but "following too close" is. Won that one but lost as I needed to prove I'd spent the $300 on repairs to the car!
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)
One more thought on this... There was once a time when I was running down I-84 in connecticut with a group doing the old fast/slow thing. I was getting really annoying. Then one of the cars I was running witrh was in the median heading for a wooded area, and not slowing down a bit. I figured he fell asleep at the wheel or something. At some point he tried to get the car back on the highway (and was succesful) while all the rest of us were hard on the brakes trying to avoid his accident. Everything worked out fine that day, but I took that as a cue and got off the highway for a little while.
Sometimes you need to do that, if just to avoid a road rage thing...

A turret on the roof would work too! :-)

There is a company that makes popup turret equipped suvs. They are designed for urban combat in low threat areas, as I recall they wanted something over 100K for the base model.
Very much the poor mans armored car. Ran across their website while some of us were discussing the Tucker designed armored car.

~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.