OUCH !!

After the 50K maintenance check, the dealer suggested it was time to replace the front brake pads.
The repair quote was a small ransom, because the car would need new rotors.
As it was explained to me, the new GM to metallic pads wear down the rotors.
Is this the new GM quality ? Replace the Rotors with each brake job ?
( it's a 2002 BUICK Century ) OUCH !!
<rj>
ALL rotors wear. They should be checked on occasion, with a micrometer, to determine if and when they should be replaced.
mike hunt

I've owned many cars over the years. I've had many brake jobs done. I've NEVER had to replace the rotors on the first brake job.
<rj>
True, I have a car with nearly 300K on the clock that has the original rotors, many times they just need to be turned a few thousands. However some folks don't even look at the brakes till they start making funny noises. By then the rotors can be damaged by worn-out lining. That is why they should be checked on occasion, with a micrometer, to determine if and when they should be replaced
mike hunt

50,000 miles and you're bitching about a brake job? Wait until it runs out of that free tank of gas the dealer sent you down the road with - you're really going to be po'd.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

No.... I'm bitching about a rotor job ! The rotors should last longer than the ( OEM ) disk pads.
BTW; In my world, mileage doesn't wear out brakes. It's the number of stops per mile.
As it is, much of my mileage is "highway miles"....
<rj>
RJ wrote:

Its due to the semi metallic pads. People want quite brakes that don't leave dust on their nice clean wheels so now you have brake pads that are as hard as the rotors so both wear about the same. Get some good quality non metallic pads and live with black dust on your wheels (and better braking) or live with replacing the rotors. GM is just giving the never keep a car past 30k public what they want.

How do you recognize nonmetallic and what brand would we be likely to find them in?

How much is a small ransom?

$400+ ( when you add in the "hazardous waste disposal fee ) )
<rj>
My G/F just TODAY had her 2002 Buick Century in for a brake job. She is a bit "hard" on the brakes at times. This is her 1st brake job on this car at 42K miles.
She got all new pads on the front, AND new rotors on the front. Front means both left and right side too. The ENTIRE job, parts and labor at a local Buick dealership was..... $209.21 (including tax).
Nothing was replaced on rear at this time. That is not considered a great price around our locale, but merely a fair price.

Ouch!
<RJ> wrote:

My 2001 Century needed rotors at about 35000 miles(much too soon). I replaced the oem rotors because they were warped due to overheating. You can buy rotors from $25 to $100 each (top end is drilled and slotted dissipate heat better). Pads were replaced with Pepboys heavyduty pads. They now have 60000 miles and the pads with little wear on rotors and about 10000 miles left on the pads. The rear breaks are about due to be changed at 90000 miles. there is very little wear on rear drums. In this area(north GA) a complete break job (with rotors) cost about $250. ernie

ernie wrote:

Here in KY you can get somebody to "break" 'em for free.

What do you think? If you think this is "the new GM quality", then pay for it and move on. If not, then do what an intelligent person would do and either check them yourself or have someone you trust do it.
Dave

I'd hate to go in for new wipers.... They might just replace the winsdshield !! ;o)
<rj>
I just had pads replaced on all 4 wheels on my 2000 Impala for $242, my service writer gave me a rear wheels free job (this was at a Chevy dealer) and rotors were not replaced. Car had 61K on it at the time. So there are some good GM dealers out there after all. Roy

Yup, same here on a 2002 monte carlo. new pads, and rotors all the way around, 72,000 miles. But really thats not bad, they are wear items. I like knowing my womans car can stop. Whats really yhe killer is the labor, rotors for domestic cars arent that expensive. The exotic pads they use these days cost more than the rotors...
--
1984 RZ350