Outside temperature wrong

Page 1 of 2
Have an '08 Buick Lucerne. The displayed outside temperature is something like 6-8 degrees lower than the 'true' outside temp. Is there someway to calibrate it so that it is more accurate ?
Thx Zork
Is it still under warranty?

That's why that give you a warranty. Dealer can replace the thermocouple in about 10 minutes.
I was hoping that there was a calibration of some sort as the dealer is over 2 hours away. As an aside, just above the temp display it says 'CAL'. Hadn't noticed that before. Guess I will have to make the trip one of these days. Thanks, all................ Zork --------------------

If there was an adjustment procedure it would be in your owners manual if you can read..

Dont count on it, Woody. I just scanned that owners manual and it is the typical drivel that car makers have been putting in the glove compartment for years.

There should be an onboard computer for the owner that would answer all his questions. If the answer is not available in the database in the car it should contact a database over the internet. It is really amazing that new technology has not been used more in the cars to assist users.
The onboard computer should also tell the user about anything to do with maintenance and be connected to all the wirings. This is so obvious and would make a lot of difference in deciding buying a car. Does certainly not cost much.
Gosi wrote:

Uh GM has been doing this for a while on Onstar vehicles. The computer sends an E-Mail to the owner as long as they set up the account.
--
Steve W.

ok
The onboard computer should then tell this guy how to set the temp meter. Maybe the computer is not very good?

I dont guess everybody signed onto Onstar.
But you have a point. There could be an onboard computer that could hold just about every pertinent bit of information a person would need, and that he could interrogate. The Owners Manual is a POS, for the most part, written for people who know next to nothing about their rides.
Gosh, I really appreciate your insightfull comments ! I can probably figure it out now. Never would have thought of that. Z

Zork, besides the temperature readout problem, how do you like the Lucerne? Is it as quiet and smooth riding that I have heard about?
Dave C.

I really like it a lot ! The ride is great and it is the quietest car I have been in. My brothers Lexus 3 series is NOT as quiet. The neighbors Caddy CXL (I think thats the letters) is also not as quiet. Will have to wait a year or so to see it holds up. Z

That was our concern. We have traditionally bought Buicks, but had doubts after the last few. Since the Lucerne was unmapped territory, we went a different way.
If your Lucerne is as quiet and smooth as our Avalon, then it is really a spectacular achievement....if it holds up, as you say.
says...

My neighbor has an Avalon, but it is 2years old. The Lucerne is a lot quieter, but two years down the road.......only time will tell. Z

Our Avalon is now a year old. It is undoubtedly the quietest and most road responsive car I have ever owned. We will see how long it lasts.
The most responsive car I have ever driven, I think, was a recent model Alfa Romeo sedan. I suspect it would not last very long, however, given my experiences with other Italian cars.
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:28:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Zork) wrote:

My BUICK Century is getting a bit "long in the tooth".
I would buy another ( new ) in an instant..... but they've stopped making them.
The other BUICKS have priced themselves out of my range.
<rj>

GM "diddled" all of us, to some extent or the other.

Does your Lucerne have a digital compass too? I've never heard of a car (outside) temperature gauge that you can calibrate. My Bonneville has the (outside) temperature gauge and a digital compass, but the CAL only comes up to calibrate the compass. In any case, I would do as others have suggested, and check the owners manual.
On Mar 20, 1:34pm, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Zork) wrote:

This is obviously a cool car