Overfilled Oil

Page 1 of 4
I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading "off the
charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has been thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?
<chop>

have to fight it's way through the oil so your mileage and power will suffer. I lost a fuelpump diaphram on a 327 once and filled the crankcase with gas. Had one hell of a leak, out the dipstick, oil filler cap, blew pcv out. Sure smoked a lot too.
Willy

Thanks for the quick reply. The engine sounds/runs normal (i.e. great) and the tailpipe emissions are normal (clear). I love the 4.3 Vortec...just wanted to make sure nothing damages my "baby". haha

How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?
Doc

I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to ride up the stem of the dipstick.

Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE how far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than 2".
Doc

Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis, Doc?

It's fine. Your truck takes about 4.75 qts and they likely just added 5 qts. 1/2" over "full" ain't going to hurt anything.
Doc

Doc is right. The idea that your crank will have to spin through the extra 1/2 quart is just wrong. Same for any idea about it causing foaming and thus bearing failure.
When we used to rebuild engines we put an extra quart in to be sure the new motor had plenty. A half quart overfill won't hurt anything.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:16:35 -0500, "Spiderman"

The diagnosis is "Nitwitcity"
IOW, you paid Mr Goodwrench to screw up your vehicle. The crankshaft can churn the oil causing it to become entrained with air bubbles, and this is not a good thing for your main bearings.
Dump the extra, do it now. And don't go back to the jerk you paid to screw up your ride.
Lg

Hmmm....I wonder who's right? The Doc (leave it alone) or Lg (dump the oil)?

I hope for you it is "doc"
Or you can just take it out / have it taken out and spend a $ 19.95 on a oil change
Or a couple of thousand on a motor
You do the math..............
Johan
johanb wrote:

Hi...
Maybe I'm over-simplifying... but the oil's new; why replace it?
Why not just loosen the plug and let a bit out? Heck, clean the drain pan thoroughly first and save what you remove for a top-up.
Course I am from the waste not want not generation :)
Ken
Best advice right here. Can't hurt to to have the correct amount of oil, and it's not too tough to let a bit out.

Yeah, sounds good too
Long story short , why take the change........
Johan
Different engines exhibit different degrees of sensitivity to oil overfill. My one data point regarding the 4.3 as installed in the S10-based Blazer is that it's not too crabby about it. At the other extreme would be the 4AFE in my mother's Corolla, which emits a faint but distinct "hey, lemme outta here!" noise at idle (goes away with any noticeable revs) if you put in a bit too much oil.
Note that if you replace oil by lining up the empties rather than by dipstick measurement, there *is* going to be some error unless you carefully let all the oil drain down through the engine and then into the drip pan.
Being in a hurry or doing it on a surface that slopes in the wrong direction -- common sins of Lube'n'Leave and of do-it-yourselfers, respectively -- are pretty much guaranteed to leave some ounces of old oil in there. This is worsened, of course, by car-manufacturer brain trusts who choose not to design oil pans such that a change with new filter consumes an integral number of quart bottles, as it usually did in days of old.
Anyway, I'm with the fellow who advised loosening the plug enough to let several ounces trickle out and then tightening it back, adding more to achieve a level no higher than the hashmarked "normal" range of the dipstick.
Cheers, --Joe

I overfilled mine once, by 1/2 quart, and just loostened the plug and let 1/2 qt out like you said. BUT I wouldnt think of reusing it, in case it picked up and particles on the outside of the oil pan.
Sure, the motor might be $2000, but putting the damn thing in is probably $5000 in that newfangled pice of s*it car. Thank got my 81 and 85 trucks arent that way.

Just change the filter, there goes 1/2 to 1 quart. KenG
Tim Kett wrote:

filter back on. They cost money ya know.
Brian
el Diablo wrote:

Hi...
Is the gasket on the filter meant to be re-used ?
And even if so, starting with an empty filter means another few seconds of engine running time before oil pressure, while the filter fills, right?
Ken