Overfilled Oil

Page 2 of 4

This thread has lost all control, lol

agreed, this thread is now to the 'jeez, get a f*cking life!' point...............
"Doc" wrote:

No, I think we had this discussion a while back. Glicky is just a "dean" wannabe. I thought he was gone for a while, but I guess he's poked his little ol head back up again. Drives a Ford...serves him right! He'll be in the shop on Monday bitching about his "brown" trans fluid....hopefully they will tell him to go "fuck himself".
Ian
Lawrence Glickman wrote:

Oooooohh....noooooo....you "plonked" me!!! I guess I've been told. Good luck on Monday, I hope they run you out of the shop on a rail. A little bit of tar and feathers wouldn't hurt either.
Ian

As of yesterday (12-19), the "Help diagnose starting problem" thread.
No starter motor action and there you were, blathering about Throttle Position Sensors, vacuum leaks, MAF sensors, fuel pressure under load and your tinker toy scan tool.
That's five technical errors in ONE post!
Any other questions?
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:50:25 GMT, aarcuda69062

Yes just one. WHY DO YOU EXIST?
You have never, to my knowledge, contributed -anything- to the n/g except negative criticism.
If that was my car, I would take a jump kit and connect it across the starter contacts and see if it spins. That's just me. Takes 1 minute.
The problem as I understood it, was that the OP's car was *cutting out* while driving. Different, eh? Not what you said, what HE said.
I reiterate, you are useless as a source of information. In fact, worse than useless. You are not a contributor, you are a troll.
PLONK
Lg

Because nothing has been able to kill me yet. (not for a lack of opportunity though)

Key words being "to my [your] knowledge."

Really? What happened to your thoughts of connecting your scan tool as posted previously? Seriously, how the hell can you misinterpret a statement like;

What "he" said is directly above, it has >>> in front of it. Put your finger underneath each word and sound them out if you have to, take notes and reference them as often as you need.

Gee Lawrence, you -did- ask the question, I merely provided examples that satisfied your query.

Fine by me...
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:35:05 GMT, aarcuda69062

I never -really- plonk anybody. I just say that for some reason; knee-jerk reaction.
I think you're an OK guy even if you don't like me. Makes no difference one way or another, but you're OK by me. So is about everybody else.
Lg

Geez Larry, you should really make sure and stay on your medication. It works wonders. Bob

How nice of you to be concerned about my Health. What a wonderful gesture of warm Humanity. I feel renewed.
BTW, I hope you enjoy your Holiday Season and find some happiness in it. This can be a tough time of year for a lot of people, being mixed in with *relatives* they can't stand ;-\
Lg
aarcuda69062 proclaimed:

Well, shyeagh dude, the poor misguided fact-challenged OP told you to name a "SINGLE" error...
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:38:06 -0500, "Spiderman"

leave it alone.... a 1/2" high on the dipstick is negligible.... don't worry about it unless you're a couple of inches above the full mark.
-Bret

Doc's right, as long as it's no more than 1/2" over full your OK. My 1994 Z34 has the 3.4 liter motor that takes a small oil filter and the manual states 5-1/2 qts. with a filter change. I've put 6 qts. in it ever time I've changed the oil. The motor has 126,000 fairly hard miles on it and runs like new still.
Brian

You're not kidding, I had a new exhaust system installed recently and it fell off the same day...turns out they didn't clamp the muffler down tight enough!

1/2" won't hurt you at all. That equates to about 1/2 quart. I always put in 5 quarts with filter change in the wifes 4.3. Look at it this way. The sump holds 3 quarts without touching the crank (the crank is actually 1" or so in the oil before the pump starts working). Now when you actually start the engine the oil pump does it's job. On the 4X4 with the small filter the filter holds 1/2 quart, the lines and cooler hold another 1/2 quart. Now add the oil passages in the engine up and that takes another 1.5 quarts. What does that leave in the sump? Correct , 2 quarts. If it takes 3 quarts to get to the crank you still have 1 quart to play with.
Now if you go nuts and dump 6-7 quarts in you will have problems.
To jump in, and repeat what others are going to say, 1/2" should not cause any problems. It will allow you to go a bit further before adding oil, if you had to add oil before.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:16:35 -0500, "Spiderman"

Exactly! And think about this guys, the accuracy that the dip stick tube is press into the block is probably +/- 0.035" and the tolerance on the dip stick pressed into the handle is probably about the same. So right off the bat a Friday or Monday car is 0.070" off location to begin with. Grant it that's not that much but it just shows that this method of fluid checking isn't that accurate or does it need to be. After all if you drive up hill, down hill, or around corners the level changes all the time anyway.
Brian

Plus, some 'flat' surfaces where people check the dipstick are not entirely flat so the reading can be slightly off.
I've also intentionally overfilled (slightly) cars that use/burn/leak oil in the past. It reduces the much greater risk of damage from having too little oil, and I never saw any problems from it.
-John
So what's the problem? If it is over filled, either do it yourself, take you vehicle to a shop, remove the oil, refill with the proper amount of oil, end of problem.
mike hunt
Spiderman wrote:

All the above said if the oil is too high it will be turned to foam by the crankshaft and the bearings will be starved of oil and burn up. If it is more than 1/2 inch above full drain it and fill correctly...