Overfilled Oil

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Best advice right here. Can't hurt to to have the correct amount of oil, and it's not too tough to let a bit out.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Doc's right, as long as it's no more than 1/2" over full your OK. My 1994 Z34 has the 3.4 liter motor that takes a small oil filter and the manual states 5-1/2 qts. with a filter change. I've put 6 qts. in it ever time I've changed the oil. The motor has 126,000 fairly hard miles on it and runs like new still.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I originally asked the question because I did not want to waste fresh oil for no good reason....and in my case, it looks like there isn't one. I looked under the hood and DID notice some oil dripping down the skid plate....like you said, it must have gotten spilt when they changed the filter. I wiped up the excess and hopefully that will be the end of the little oil drips! Thanks....very good and sensible post (just what I was looking for)!

Reply to
Spiderman

Yeah, sounds good too

Long story short , why take the change........

Johan

Reply to
johanb

GUESTIMATE how

diagnosis, Doc?

1/2" won't hurt you at all. That equates to about 1/2 quart. I always put in 5 quarts with filter change in the wifes 4.3. Look at it this way. The sump holds 3 quarts without touching the crank (the crank is actually 1" or so in the oil before the pump starts working). Now when you actually start the engine the oil pump does it's job. On the 4X4 with the small filter the filter holds 1/2 quart, the lines and cooler hold another 1/2 quart. Now add the oil passages in the engine up and that takes another 1.5 quarts. What does that leave in the sump? Correct , 2 quarts. If it takes 3 quarts to get to the crank you still have 1 quart to play with.

Now if you go nuts and dump 6-7 quarts in you will have problems.

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----

Reply to
Steve W.

Doc is right. The idea that your crank will have to spin through the extra 1/2 quart is just wrong. Same for any idea about it causing foaming and thus bearing failure.

When we used to rebuild engines we put an extra quart in to be sure the new motor had plenty. A half quart overfill won't hurt anything.

Reply to
Scott

f'in hell all this over a pissy drop to much and that guy that said drain it out and save it must be on skid row.

toy

Reply to
Toy

If it shows up in the oil pressure it is too late....

Reply to
Woody

Reply to
Peter D. Hipson

Exactly! And think about this guys, the accuracy that the dip stick tube is press into the block is probably +/- 0.035" and the tolerance on the dip stick pressed into the handle is probably about the same. So right off the bat a Friday or Monday car is 0.070" off location to begin with. Grant it that's not that much but it just shows that this method of fluid checking isn't that accurate or does it need to be. After all if you drive up hill, down hill, or around corners the level changes all the time anyway.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

message

Plus, some 'flat' surfaces where people check the dipstick are not entirely flat so the reading can be slightly off.

I've also intentionally overfilled (slightly) cars that use/burn/leak oil in the past. It reduces the much greater risk of damage from having too little oil, and I never saw any problems from it.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Personally, I'd just climb underneath and let some of the extra oil out. But, if you have an aversion to getting under there and making a mess, there may be a simpler solution....

To change the oil in my inboard-outboard boat, I pump it out through the dipstick. That's the way it's done in boats. So, you could drop by your local boating store and pick up a pump for $20 or less. Pump the extra half-quart out and save it for later. No mess, and you'll have a handly little pump left over that you can use for something else in the future. Personally, I've never done this on an automobile, so take this advice with a grain of salt.... Just make sure the tubing used on the pump will fit into your dipstick tube.

Reply to
nospam

Reply to
Oliver B. Lafferty

Look guy, I'm not saying his is over full to the point that it's a problem. In fact, I'm inclined to believe the consensus on here that a 1/2" above full on that engine is no big deal.

What I am saying, is that if the oil does get too far over filled, that I have read that seals can be compromised. I am also saying, that it is a very easy thing (for most guys) to let out a little excess oil from the drain plug.

So putting it all together, on balance, myself I would just drain a bit off so that it was in the correct range on the dip stick. Then nothing is left to any chance, and it isn't tough to make happen. But it's a free country and everyone is entitled to their own judgement on the matter.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

This whole thread is commonly refered to as a "cluster f*ck" I'm not refering to any particular poster but the thread as a whole. Poor Spiderman has to wade through a mountain of misinformation to get a simple answer. Too many people taking guesses without actually knowing the correct answer to the simplest questions. I'm not intending to insult anyone, everyone want's to help which can only be good.

It's sort of like Kubbyk299 asking what the hose is on the coolant reservoir, then going on to try and diagnose other peoples cooling problems with wild guesses.

This is the nature of humans

Reply to
TaskMule

ClusterFuck huh? I haven't heard that term used for a while. I've run and seen engines run with an extra quart of oil in them with no damage being done. If you're concerned about it, just take some out using a suction device (through the dipstick tube) or by removing the drainplug (be sure to measure the oil so you know how much you've removed).

But, here's a thought. How do you know that the dipstick is accurate? I've seen numerous dipsticks that read high or low but very few that were "on the money". To check the accuracy of the dipstick, you need to do the following (or something similar). Drain the oil from the engine and remove the filter. Install a new filter and new oil, leaving one quart of oil out of the engine. Start the engine and let if run for a few minutes. Shut the engine off and let it sit for a few minutes; check the oil level (this is the 1 quart low level). I usually mark the dipstick with a scratch if it's different. Now, add the last quart and wait a few minutes. Check the oil level. This is the full level. Now you'll know if the engine is really "full" or "low". BTW, it's best to do this on a level surface.

Rich B

TaskMule. Some dipsticks ( not referring to anybody in particular here ), have stamped on them DO NOT OVERFILL.

There just _has_ to be a reason for that don't you think ?

Now I'll be the first to admitt that a 1/2 quart *over* is no cause for concern in a V6 or bigger, but it -could- be in a 4 banger.

The term the OP used was WAY OFF THE CHARTS.

Well, way off the charts means just that, that the top of the oil in the crank case is too close to the crankshaft, or has immersed it partially. This is NOT a good thing, for the reason I stated. You'll end up pumping foam instead of oil. Air is NOT a recommended lubricant in any Service Manual I've ever come across.

Regards,

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I over filled my truck once...about one or two, yeah, I think two tablespoons too much...just kept pushing the dipstick in, pull it out, wipe, push it in, pull it out, wipe. It was an easy way to bring her back to level. I bet you can eliminate that 1/2 inch in a day or two the same way. (*wink*)

Reply to
Bob Truck

only once? shit man, you're slackin off

You're supposed to be in bed by 6pm. I'm going to tell your mommy. Don't forget you have dress-rehersal for the Christmas play at your elementary school tomorrow.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman