Overfilled Oil

Page 3 of 4

Wouldn't that show up in the oil pressure? The pressure is in the normal operating range. This is a very educational thread!
If it shows up in the oil pressure it is too late....

Maybe a burst fuel pump diaphram? I know if it goes on a Ford it will fill the crankcase with gasoline.
--
Spinner Baits Tips & Tricks Contest
featuring

thing, like he said they put 5 qts instead of 4.5 qts in.(based on the 90 some odd oil changes my 91 has had in its 202,000 mile life time) 1/2 qt aint going to hurt a 4.3, the oil level still wont be close to the crank so no frothing at the dip stick to worry about..
I got a kick out of how these threads get all bent out of shape, Spider don't worry about a fuel pump diaphragm because your truck doesn't have one, its fuel injected and has an electric fuel pump mounted in the tank. And where did he say anywhere in his posts that he took it of Mr. Goodwrench?
Given you have a 4X4, removing the oil filter usually results in some spilt oil on the frame and skid plate, the drips in the drive way are probably from that. Good shop would have cleaned it up.
Whitelightning

I originally asked the question because I did not want to waste fresh oil for no good reason....and in my case, it looks like there isn't one. I looked under the hood and DID notice some oil dripping down the skid plate....like you said, it must have gotten spilt when they changed the filter. I wiped up the excess and hopefully that will be the end of the little oil drips! Thanks....very good and sensible post (just what I was looking for)!
Slight overfill... probably not. More than slight... maybe. I've read that over filling can lead to rear or front bearing seal failure. Failed seals can lead to well, let the experts in here tell you.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:13:58 -0500, "Spiderman"

f'in hell all this over a pissy drop to much and that guy that said drain it out and save it must be on skid row.
toy
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:41:58 +0000 (UTC), "Toy"

Look guy, I'm not saying his is over full to the point that it's a problem. In fact, I'm inclined to believe the consensus on here that a 1/2" above full on that engine is no big deal.
What I am saying, is that if the oil does get too far over filled, that I have read that seals can be compromised. I am also saying, that it is a very easy thing (for most guys) to let out a little excess oil from the drain plug.
So putting it all together, on balance, myself I would just drain a bit off so that it was in the correct range on the dip stick. Then nothing is left to any chance, and it isn't tough to make happen. But it's a free country and everyone is entitled to their own judgement on the matter.

This whole thread is commonly refered to as a "cluster fuck" I'm not refering to any particular poster but the thread as a whole. Poor Spiderman has to wade through a mountain of misinformation to get a simple answer. Too many people taking guesses without actually knowing the correct answer to the simplest questions. I'm not intending to insult anyone, everyone want's to help which can only be good.
It's sort of like Kubbyk299 asking what the hose is on the coolant reservoir, then going on to try and diagnose other peoples cooling problems with wild guesses.
This is the nature of humans
ClusterFuck huh? I haven't heard that term used for a while. I've run and seen engines run with an extra quart of oil in them with no damage being done. If you're concerned about it, just take some out using a suction device (through the dipstick tube) or by removing the drainplug (be sure to measure the oil so you know how much you've removed).
But, here's a thought. How do you know that the dipstick is accurate? I've seen numerous dipsticks that read high or low but very few that were "on the money". To check the accuracy of the dipstick, you need to do the following (or something similar). Drain the oil from the engine and remove the filter. Install a new filter and new oil, leaving one quart of oil out of the engine. Start the engine and let if run for a few minutes. Shut the engine off and let it sit for a few minutes; check the oil level (this is the 1 quart low level). I usually mark the dipstick with a scratch if it's different. Now, add the last quart and wait a few minutes. Check the oil level. This is the full level. Now you'll know if the engine is really "full" or "low". BTW, it's best to do this on a level surface.
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:23:59 -0500, "TaskMule"

Some dipsticks ( not referring to anybody in particular here ), have stamped on them DO NOT OVERFILL.
There just _has_ to be a reason for that don't you think ?
Now I'll be the first to admitt that a 1/2 quart *over* is no cause for concern in a V6 or bigger, but it -could- be in a 4 banger.
The term the OP used was WAY OFF THE CHARTS.
Well, way off the charts means just that, that the top of the oil in the crank case is too close to the crankshaft, or has immersed it partially. This is NOT a good thing, for the reason I stated. You'll end up pumping foam instead of oil. Air is NOT a recommended lubricant in any Service Manual I've ever come across.
Regards,
Lg
Personally, I'd just climb underneath and let some of the extra oil out. But, if you have an aversion to getting under there and making a mess, there may be a simpler solution....
To change the oil in my inboard-outboard boat, I pump it out through the dipstick. That's the way it's done in boats. So, you could drop by your local boating store and pick up a pump for $20 or less. Pump the extra half-quart out and save it for later. No mess, and you'll have a handly little pump left over that you can use for something else in the future. Personally, I've never done this on an automobile, so take this advice with a grain of salt.... Just make sure the tubing used on the pump will fit into your dipstick tube.

I over filled my truck once...about one or two, yeah, I think two tablespoons too much...just kept pushing the dipstick in, pull it out, wipe, push it in, pull it out, wipe. It was an easy way to bring her back to level. I bet you can eliminate that 1/2 inch in a day or two the same way. (*wink*)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:18:43 GMT, "Bob Truck"

only once? shit man, you're slackin off

You're supposed to be in bed by 6pm. I'm going to tell your mommy. Don't forget you have dress-rehersal for the Christmas play at your elementary school tomorrow.
Lg
To add a bit to this, you can get these at KMart, Sears, Pep Boys etc under various names for about $10. Some are under the Mighty Vac name. They all look identical so I assume they all come out of the same factory in East Zippitydoodah somewhere in the Pacific rim. Make sure the one you get has a skinny black hose in addition to the two larger red ones. You'll need that to fit down the dipstick tube. They look like a miniature hand bilge pump. FWIW YMMV DFB
On 18 Dec 2004 09:21:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@pleasedontspamme.com wrote:

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all." - Justice William O. Douglas
They have those for cars too, but I have never used one in the whole 30 years that I have been changing oil. You dont even need ramps to drain most trucks, so i could drain 1/2 quart from mine in about 1 1/2 minuits max after I find my wrench.
snipped-for-privacy@pleasedontspamme.com wrote in article

Lots of answers to this, but no one mentioned that the right way to do this is to change your oil and filter yourself and avoid overtightened 'stripped out' or 'not tightened' pan plugs. Go by the book and put THAT amount in, and use the dipstick as a guide only for topping off later. I say go by the book, because I worked on one vehicle that had the wrong dipstick in it, and you might be surprised how often the 'right' dipstick can be off at least half an inch. Changing oil is not a big deal and is cheaper, quicker and safer than having a mentally challenged garage helper do it.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:13:58 -0500, "Spiderman"

<SNIP>

to do it myself? Quicker? It takes them about 20 minutes. How much faster could I do it myself? Safer? How much safer would it be for me to get under there myself? Mentally challenged? Some of them are, of course. Most have just as much mechanical ability as you! You're right, changing oil is no big deal, but look at the real world. Lots of folks are stuck with street parking, no knowledge, and no tools. Some pay because they have to; some pay because of convenience. I pay to have it done but before I drive away, I do a quick check to make sure I still have a dipstick, an oil cap, and to see that they "did" change the filter and other things they were supposed to do.

If you're going through that much trouble to second guess their work then you'd be better off doing it yourself then you would know that the above mentioned items would still be there.
In the long term.. less stress on your part having people handle your vehicle.
If you have to go through those checks when they simply do an oil change then obviously you don't trust the mechanics you bring your vehicle to. Go to another garage