Overfilled Oil

Page 4 of 4
wrote:

LOL, It is -30C this morning. On such a day it is ALWAYS safer to get someone else to do it. An oil change is much more than the crankcase. They change the filter, grease the chassis, check the oil in the pumpkins. They have a hoist so they can take the pressure off the ball joints so they can be filled. All this takes more than 20 minutes for me (in my gravel driveway) and we have 3 trucks. At 52 years old I can think of some things I would have others do. Oil changes and exhaust systems comes to mind. I have to save huge sheets of cardboard to lay under the truck on and they don't :)
Merry Christmas one and all. Gordie
-- Best Regards Gordie
The real problem is people don't develop a relationship with a garage, they don't get to know a shop. They take it to some oil change joint for that and pay too much, another place for ac and yet another when it isn't running right. and more than likely never the same place twice in a row.
I dont change oil. I have a shop that does that for me, I've known the owner for 10 years plus. He's the only one that has touched my truck besides myself. I bring him the oil and filter, walk across the street to the dinner, have breakfast, bring him back a cup of coffee and a bagal, pay him $20 and drive away. I buy the oil by the case and enough oil filters to go with it. Grab a couple sets of wiper blades(Florida sun is hell on blades), and couple air filters at the same time. Every third oil change he rotates and balances tires and checks the alignment, and does a brake inspection.
The alternative is drag out jack stands and jack, crawl under, drain, replace filter, shake front end down and lube, check u-joints, check diff lube level. Get it off the jack stands, fill the crank, check the power steering fluid, check the tranny fluid. drain the drain pan into a container of some kind, clean the pan, and other tools used, put everything away. Wash hands, change out of old clothes worn. And then find some place to get rid of the old oil. Still have to take it some place for the rotate, balance and alignment check.
Whiteightning
"The Nolalu Barn Owl"

Most of the oil change places use a basement "pit" as opposed to a hoist though.
Also how many of them wipe the grease nipples before applying the grease gun. usually they just jamb it on and pump sandy gritty grease into the ball joint. I once asked the guy in the pit to wipe each nipple before greasing and he looked at me like I was insane.

Or pre fill the oil filter before putting it on. Whitelightning
Whitelightning wrote:

Right....I'd like to see you pre-fill the oil filter on an Ecotec 4 cylinder engine. And many other engines....good luck!
Ian

Bingo.
The majority of 4-bangers I've worked on have the filter mounted parallel to the ground, making it just a wee bit difficult <read:impossible> to pre-oil the filter before install.
Doc

pre-oil
You might not be able to completely fill it on all cars, but even if you can get 1/4 qt in a 1/2 qt filter you have lessened the amount of time with no oil pressure. I remember a few cars were your hands were completely tied over the years, like the Chrysler slant six with the filter mounted upside down, or more than a few toyotas were the filter was mounted angled down, or any engine that used a cartridge instead of a spin on filter. Whitelightning
My car requires 4 & 3/4 quarts of oil to be right at the full mark.
Occasionally, I've bought the 5 quart jugs of oil ( when it was in stock, mostly its not in stock ) and added all of it to the engine. Level was maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch over the full mark. No problems. By the time the next oil change came the level was down to the full mark.
I've got an old washer fluid - 5 quart jug that I have lines marked off at every quart line up to the 4 & 3/4 mark.
I can mix in a quart of Mystery Marvel Oil then fill the rest of the way with 10 W 30 and I'm all set for the next oil change.
One time last winter, slightly overfilling using 5 W 30, it warmed up to 60 degrees for a few days and some oil leaked out the rear seal. I can use 5 W under 50 degree temperatures. This was the only time it leaked. The Thinner oil & the warmer temps caused it.
Good Luck.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,188 miles_~_~_