Oxygen Sensor Stripped! Help!!!

Anyone know the thread size of an oxygen sensor?
Decided to change the oxygen sensor on a '92 Bonneville SE for poor gas mileage, and the sensor came out with no threads!
Now I got to tap out the exhaust manifold threads before I install the new sensor.
Thanks for any help.
I think it is M 18 x 1.5 Been a while since I stripped one out.
--
Steve Williams

"Kirsten" < snipped-for-privacy@msn.com> wrote in message
Lock tite make a form a thread. You put it on the part and screw it in and it will hardened. Not sure if it will work with heat.

It makes no sense to retap the threads are still stripped. Helicoil is the only sure fix.

I would not recommend loctite here , it will insulate against heat transfer and can affect ground continuity.

Thanks for the info....
After some digging, I did confirm the thread size to be 18mm x 1.5.
Also found the Heli-Coil repair kit for O2 sensors, but the average cost is about $100! That's a bit steep for a one-time repair! Looked for a place that might rent the kit, but had no luck. I did find a 18.5x1.5mm tap at work, and I lucked-out on this one... Looks like the old oxygen sensor took most of the damage. The exhaust manifold threads were a little beat-up at the top, but once I got the tap started, all went well.
This O2 sensor replacement took a lot longer than I expected, but at least I didn't have to drop the $100 for the repair kit!