P0440 on 2001 Impala

My wife's car turned on the check engine light and I had Autozone pull the code for me and received a P0440 "Evap Emission control system". I
searched for that code and found that is seems to be common on a lot of cars/trucks from Chevy to Honda/Toyota/etc. The only real hit on that code and Impala said the canister is behind the left rear wheel and is prone to cracking. I can see the canister sitting above the gas tank there but don't see any cracks and don't see how I would pull it out to check, it almost looks like I would have to drop the tank. Were at 68,000 miles so past warranty, any ideas what I can check?
I had that code on my 98 Buick and it turned out to be a bad "fuel tank pressure sensor". It's a $56 part from the dealer but took them 4 hours to figure it out! Hope this helps. Don

Nelson Reifsnider wrote:

Well she said it was hard to start every now and then so I bought new plugs and wires and replaced them and the air filter (store didn't have any fuel filters in stock except for fram so I couldn't get one of those) but it starts better now and the check engine light went off, must have been just a bit out of tune.
Make sure you are putting the gas cap on tight. If you leave it loose you loose tank pressure and set the code. Tighten it a minimum of three clicks. This is a very common problem with OBDII cars.....