PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

Threaded View

1997 Olds 88 - I want to put my new PVC valve in , 100K miles on it.

here is a photo I grid marked, please tell me where I should start digging
to find the PCV.
I suspect it may be hidden under something else too.

You can pinpoint it with tenths if u want eg:
C4 (where C crosses 4 ) or B.3 x 4.5 (where B and a third crosses 4 and a
half)

Hope I am at the correct end of the block .......  thanks.

photo here:

 http://www.geocities.com/jatojet/top2.jpg

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

Between 2 & 3. That thing thats rasied up in the air with the connector
has to be removed. The PCV is under there in a recesss.

      Harryface
05 Park Avenue
91 Bonneville LE, 303,383  miles

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

I'm guessing you mean between E and F also ?

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

Can you supply a picture of the entire engine?

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

I believe you are at the wrong end of the intake manifold, from what I can
tell from the info I have it's at the other end, drive belt end.

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

I also found this on the internet:

on a 3800 eng. take the eng. cover off and on the top left of the upper
intake its under the the grey sensor

Steve

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

Just got home..........  I will get a shot of the other end and post very
soon.
tnx

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

ok, here is the alternator, pumps and pulley end of the crank. ( front of
motor )

http://xs31.xs.to/pics/05225/END2.jpg

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

Yes,I thought this had the electronic, pcm controlled pcv, no real
maintenance here.

-

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

Agreed

of

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

sorry, I'm confused..........  is that a yes on the green arrow ? or no.

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

yes

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

Thanks everyone,  will open her up tomorrow.

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

The device in B-C/3-4, remove it very carefully, the PCV is
underneath.  Pay close attention to the O-rings and where they go.

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

Ok, will watch the O rings.
tnx

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

Amen....one of our techs recently changed the upper manifold
on one of these engines.  After he changed it, it developed
a funny whistling noise.  You probably know what happened.

He ended up tearing the engine out of the car and stripping
it down looking for the problem.  He never asked anyone in
the shop for some advice.  I wandered over after a bit and
asked him what the problem was.  He told me his little
story and what he'd replaced.  He was pretty upset when
I went straight to the pcv valve location and pointed out
the o-ring that he'd forgotten to re-install into the new
manifold.

Oh well.

Ian

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

This is probably why Dorman is shipping their replacement upper
plenums with the PCV valve already installed.

Some days, I really miss working in a dealership... ;-)

Re: PHOTO - Olds motor - find the PCV valve location ?

The what????