Pinging <Paul> Re: Code 35 resolution

1992 Grand Am Quad Four Code 35 (idle speed error) ,

Your last suggestion was right on target. Took a look at the PRNDL circuit board per your suggestion. The solder joints were in excellent shape; however, the solder pads on the end of the board that mate with the connector were in lousy condition from being disconnected and reconnected too many times in the past. Put down a thin layer of fresh solder on each of them, hooked it back up, and code 35 was instantly ancient history.

It was obvious that a solution was going to be at hand when I took initial readings on the board. The wire to the ECU showed 12 volts in Park. Had to move the console insert around for better access. Took another reading and got 0 volts. Evidently the movement disturbed the connection.

If only I had not ASSumed that this signal was not a likely candidate for causing code 35 to set the problem would have surfaced much sooner. Did not read this signal in the beginning. Another lesson learned.

But, all is well now, and I owe you a debt of gratitude. Thanks for putting some thought into my problem and heading me toward the ultimate solution. If you're ever in my neighborhood I'll gladly furnish you with a beverage or several beverages of your choosing. Thanks again.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Thanks Silver Surfer. A Coopers Best Extra Stout or Newcastle Brown Ale sounds good. Sorry about the ecu. Sometimes my suggestions don't always work out.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Not to worry about the ECU. The salvage yard agreed to take it back. Bless them.

Reply to
Silver Surfer