Pink coolant - a new type?

The coolant color in my Impala is pink, not like those in cars I had before. I noticed the coolant level seems never changed in the thin vertical coolant
tank. When engine is hot, I can't even see the level got any higher. I guess it must be a new type of liquid, better than the green ones we have been using, right?
Thanks,
Simon
Simon wrote:

before.
coolant
I guess

been
Not all that new. GM has been puting it in most if not all of it's cars for years. It is called Dex Cool and they say is good for 150000 miles or five years. Some claim it is not that good, I changed mine at 75000 miles(Three years) Ernie
Read this about Dex Cool
https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dexcool3.html?ref=newsletter_bca_dexcool3

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dexcool3.html?ref=newsletter_bca_dexcool3
Yay class action lawsuits, the most anyone involved will see is a coupon for a free oil change, meanwhile the lawyers will walk away with millions.
Tim wrote:

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dexcool3.html?ref=newsletter_bca_dexcool3
Then, read something more rational and not motivated by a lawyer wanting to make money off your "injustice":
http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/dexcool-macs2001.htm
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Good answer! I gave a copy of this article to my dealer and he bought the video to use as a training aid for his mechanics. The great class action suit over the side-saddle fuel tanks yielded the lawyers millions but the truck owners received only a coupon for $1,000 (initially) that deceased in value each year.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rich B) wrote in 3213.bay.webtv.net:

It also helped end the auto industry habit of building vehicle with gas tanks placed for convenience and cost savings, instead of safety, which ended peoples lives in a most horrendous way, but lets not let that get in the way of your blind allegiance to your favorite auto company.
Isaiah Beard wrote:

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dexcool3.html?ref=newsletter_bca_dexcool3
wanting
http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/dexcool-macs2001.htm
After reading imcool url I inspected my 01 Buick cooling system. I had the coolant changed a couple of weeks ago at 75000 miles, because I really didn't trust the 150000 mile claim. The service people changed and flushed the engine and radiator ok but the overflow tank was a mess. I found a lot of dark brown jel attached to the inside of the overflow tank. I removed the tank and tried to clean it using several household cleaners. This tank was built never expecting it to be cleaned and I was tempted to just buy a new one but I am a stubborn cuss finally got it clean enough. After testing a starter fluid on the tank and it didn't make the plastic sticky I used a liberal amount inside the tank. Washed the inside with soap and lots of water. The tank is now clean, back on the car and filled with dex clean, the pink stuff :-). I wish I had tried a radiator flush fluid in the overflow tank just to more confident in the flush the service folks did to the radiator. I intend to look at this cooling system a bit more often. Ernie

Starter fluid, eh...I'll have to try that. The woman's 95 Olds has some nasty dark stuff in the overflow tank. Damn dex-cool. Refilled the car with "universal" prestone, which ironically looks pretty green to me ;)
-GV

Hey, FYI....that sludge you found is engine oil mixed with your antifreeze. Somewhere along the way the intake manifold leaked (or is still leaking). I had the same sludge in my '00 Monte, and spent $15 to change the tank when I had the manifold gasket fixed.
Simon wrote:

level got any higher. I guess

Dexcool is basicly a " lifetime " antifreeze. Buy a gallon of DexCool at the auto parts store, mix 50 / 50 with water, and use that for top ups. Dex Cool has one drawback, if the coolant level becomes so low air enters system, sludge could form. Keep the recovery tank topped up at all times, and the coolant will last 50,000+ miles.