play in front tire

96 Cavalier. 90,000 miles.
If I were to jack up the front end, grab the front tire at the three and nine o'clock position, and force it back and forth, I will get
some movement. Not a sloppy back and forth slap or slide but definately some movement. Hard to tell exactly how much. Less than 1/2" at the edge. The movement is not from the outer tie-rod or lower ball joint. Can not detect any movement whatsoever at these points. The play is coming from somwwhere beyond the rubber boot.
Same thing on the other side.
Is this normal to have a little play like I describe, or is it supposed to be solid as a rock? If it is supposed to be solid as a rock, is it dangerous to drive this way? Or is this a telltale sign that I have to take it in for inner tie-rod/rack repair?
Sounds like the bushings on the lower A frame are gone. This is a common problem on that car. with the wheel on the ground roll it back and forth feeling the pivots on the back of the lower A frame. It will probably roll an inch or so. The only way to fix is replace the lower A frames as the rubber bushings are not separately replaceable.

Thanks Woody.