Plugged Fuel Filter.

I bought a new gas filter at Chevy and the goodwrench that replaced it last year when he replaced my fuel pump wanted me to bring back the filter I removed. It had 31,000 on it.

When I brought it back he blew into it and said it was restricted.

Restricted with what? Gas seemed to be flowing through it alright. Don't notice any difference with the new one in place.

Possibly it was sediment from dropping the tank?

GM was even nice enough to change the part number on me - no more GF 471

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~283,488 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Blew into it with what? So far, this test sounds quite dubious.

Reply to
hyundaitech

well he put his lips on one end and blew, while holding his hand over the other end to feel if any air come through.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~283,707 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

I've never known anyone to try this. Given that your fuel system operates at about 35 psi or so and the filter is likely saturated with fuel, this doesn't seem like a meaningful test. Maybe your goodwrench knows something I don't. It's happened before. I still have my doubts, though.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It could have been partially plugged. If you blow though a filter there won't be any restriction. If it takes a little pressure to make the air flow it is starting to plug. Didn't quite understand you original post. Are you saying you had used the filter for 31,000 miles?

Normally you won't notice a plugged filter until it begins to hesitate when you floor it. Then it suddenly won't run at all.

I suppose dropping the tank could dislodge stuff that was already there.

Using a partially plugged filter requires the pump work hard and is hard on it. Good idea to change the filter often. A lot cheaper than replacing the pump.

Reply to
HRL

Yes the filter had 31,000 miles on it. It was replaced in April of 03 when the fuel pump was replaced.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~283,783 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Then I would say it is most likely a good time to replace it. - That is a lot of driving in one year. Who knows how much dust etc you picked up from the gasoline. Maybe about 1500 gallons went through that filter.

Some recommend changing every 10,000 miles. I go for about 25,000. Cheap insurance against fuel pump failure.

Reply to
HRL