Police Car - Buying as 2nd car - Advice needed

Hi,
I think I want to buy a former police car as a second car. So what is the general thought about this?
On the one hand, I can imagine the beating some of these must have
taken.
On the other hand, they are built for it but how much does that compensate?
So what is regarded as the best one to get? I want an 8, wouldn't dream of a 6. Am leaning towards a Caprice.
Thoughts? Frank - on the internet, where even you can be important
A former Police car worked for the Blues Brothers.
My father had purchased one years ago. He ended up putting about 100,000 miles on it. One thing to remember its not only miles but these cars do a lot of idling time.

A former Police car worked for the Blues Brothers.
If you plan on parking like Elliot did don't forget to disconnect the back brakes. On a serious note they can be a great second car as they never lack maintanace when in duty. Just choice the right one!
The only downside I can think of is that a first line cruiser ends up as a pool car or reserve unit after a certain number of miles, and while it is in second-run duty it doesn't usually get the maintenance that a first line car does. However, that may or may not be applicable depending on what department you are buying it from.
On the other hand, the last year I can remember that a decent V8 rear wheel drive full sized Caprice was produced for police use was 1996 (unless someone can correct me on that year). Frankly I wouldn't be too anxious to buy a 10 year old ex-police cruiser even if it did have a nice V8 in it and it was a second car. You sure won't get great mileage either. The newer GM models that the cops are using are all front wheel drive I believe, but I think the Ford Crown Vic is still the most popular (although I have seen a few Dodge Intrepids decked out as cruisers).
Cheers - Jonathan

Hmm, I appreciate your comments as well as the other comments I have gotten.
I want a V8 for sure, and I don't want a Crown Vic because of the fuel tank issue. I realize the risk is minimal, but since I have complete control over the situation I would just as soon avoid the whole thing
So it looks like if I want one it's going to be a Caprice. Time to start looking around. I'll do some research and see when they cut off. If I can snag one for $5000 or less and I get 3-4 years out of I'll be quite happy.
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 06:10:13 GMT, "Jonathan"

Frank - on the internet, where even you can be important
heheh, Dodge intrepids as police cars... I never stop when the cherries light up in those towns...
Note that Taxi companies tend to buy old police cars.
Buying an old cop car is an ok idea.
Buying an old taxi is generally not as good an idea.

"Paradox" wrote:

Must definately, when a taxi is sold, it is worn out and too expensive to keep on the road any longer.
"" wrote: > The only downside I can think of is that a first line cruiser > ends up as a > pool car or reserve unit after a certain number of miles, and > while it is in > second-run duty it doesn't usually get the maintenance that a > first line car > does. However, that may or may not be applicable depending on > what > department you are buying it from. > > On the other hand, the last year I can remember that a decent > V8 rear wheel > drive full sized Caprice was produced for police use was 1996 > (unless > someone can correct me on that year). Frankly I wouldn't be > too anxious to > buy a 10 year old ex-police cruiser even if it did have a nice > V8 in it and > it was a second car. You sure won't get great mileage either. > The newer GM > models that the cops are using are all front wheel drive I > believe, but I > think the Ford Crown Vic is still the most popular (although I > have seen a > few Dodge Intrepids decked out as cruisers). > > Cheers - Jonathan >
> > > Hi, > > > > I think I want to buy a former police car as a second car. > So what is > > the general thought about this? > > > > On the one hand, I can imagine the beating some of these > must have > > taken. > > > > On the other hand, they are built for it but how much does > that > > compensate? > > > > So what is regarded as the best one to get? I want an 8, > wouldn't > > dream of a 6. Am leaning towards a Caprice. > > > > Thoughts? > > Frank - on the internet, where even you can be important
I would not let mileage scare you or the above post. They take good car of their cars because their life may depend on it. Also you will get a high output V8, no top speed limit and better brakes than you will in a stock like car.
Not always true. Many large departments typically use two different models of cars - one is the Interceptor/Pursuit model with what you describe, but the second is nothing more than an ordinary consumer version for such tasks that do not require pursuit driving (like school resource officer, investigator, community liason and other types of assignments) but do require at least the "look" of a cruiser. Just because you are buying a car from a police department, you should make sure that it is the Incerceptor or Pursuit model if that is what you are looking for. This has been a method that larger departments have used to save money with large fleets for years because the Interceptor/Pursuit models generally cost more than the plain vanilla consumer versions, even at government pricing.
Cheers - Jonathan
mileage scare you or the above post. They take good

http://www.autoforumz.com/GM-Police-Car-Buying-2nd-car-Advice-needed-ftopict131888.html
"Frank" wrote:

is
High mileage but usually well maintained. I would look over the maintainace records and see what has been replaced or fixed before you make up your mind.