PONTIAC DEAD ??

Did I hear this correctly ? Last nites national news; They were talking about the death of the Pontiac line. ??? That would reduce GM to Chevy, Buick and Caddie.... ( and I'm not too sure about Buick )

I can remember my ( 65? ) Pontiac Tempest Bought brand new.... a beautiful looking car. But , it must've been built on a Monday. I finally dumped it after 20k miles, and countless problems. Unfortunately, it was before "Lemon Laws"

Reply to
Anonymous

Pontiac, Saturn are both gone, while Saab is going to be sold.

Makes sense, imo.

Reply to
PerfectReign

It may be the only recourse for them. I loved my older SAAB, but it was NOT a GM creation.

I only owned a Pontiac Fiero, and it was a POS, but there was hope for it, had they persevered a little.

Saturn?? Who knows.

I am in the market for a new car, but darned if I can decide what to buy. It wont be GM or Chrysler, that is for sure.

Reply to
HLS

Not buying GM now is just contributing to the problem.

Better learn how to speak Mandrin.

Reply to
Paradox

That might be a good idea in any case. They are really pushing hard to take over world control of many business areas.

GM doesnt have anything that interests me. Neither does Chrysler.

Reply to
HLS

According to news reports on Friday, Saab has declared bankruptcy in Sweden. Also, as part of GM's submission to Congress regarding the bailout monry GM says Saturn won't be folded but sold. Now as to who will buy it I haven't a clue (maybe Tata of India?)

I also don't believe GM will totally dump Buick - outside of North America Buick is one of GM's most popular nameplate. Buicks are actually the #1 selling US brand in Commie China.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA (and BTW a happy Buick owner)

Reply to
William H. Bowen

I"m glad I'm not in the market for a new car because I can't think of much by ANY manufacturer that does much for me.

Reply to
Tom W. Butts

I agree in general, but there are bright spots like the S2000, Elise, Boxster, etc.

For more family-oriented transportation, pickup trucks, etc. I don't get the point of buying new when a quality, well maintained car 10-15 years old will do everything required just as well for a lot less scratch.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Friend had a Boxster, but complained severely about the rapid tire wear (7500 miles the tires were gone), and the expense of replacing them ($1600).

I am considering a Cayman, but the tire wear issue has me spooked a bit. Any comments, Nate?

Reply to
HLS

I'm not much up on the newfangled cars, but yes, they do tend to have pricier, faster-wearing rubber and mid/rear engined cars and esp. true rear engine cars are often hard on rear tires. Might want to lurk over at the pelican parts forums for a while and chime in if you don't see an answer to your question. At least the 944 forums are a pretty good source of info in my experience.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel