Pontiac G6 coupe or sedan seems not selling well

Page 1 of 2
Went a month or so ago to look a the G6 coupe, when I got there and saw them on the lot, I wasnt all that excited about what I saw. Little annoyance in
the style especialy when looking directly at the side profile. Something about the sloping roofline and how those back side windows seem to come to a upward narrow point in the back. That annoys me. Anyway I decided to go back again the other day just to see if the style was growing on me...the answer was no. I am sort of in the market for a new car since the Grand Am is coming up on 127k mile though still running pretty damn good. But the GM incentives keep pecking my interests. The only problem is they no longer make a damn thing I want. And I am skeptical of that new fangle 3.9 in the G6 GTP. GM left a bad taste in my mouth with the Intake problem that continued for so long. Not only that lets face it Pushrod engines are old technology, they are not as efficient. Also it seems the japanese engines seem to be now putting out more hp in comparable sized engines which are also more efficient. For instance I was just reading a Motor Trend article comparing the Mustang GT with the Nissan 300Z. The 300Z is a 6 cylinder while the Mustang is a V8. The Z of course is lighter and handles better but in a flat out run the 300Z almost matches the GT but not quite and has a smoother powerband up to redline. I don't know maybe I am just rambling...but in any case the G6 doesn't appeal to me yet. The price of the G6GTP was around 24k with just above 20k with incentives. If I could get it out the door for 18k I would probably give it a try. I sort of feel like GM let me down with the type of cars they have been putting out the last few years...I mean where is the real excitement?! A G6?? Its just a car now real excitement. Am I being to hard on GM?

the
yet.
Difference between the Mustang and the 300Z, the Mustang GT can be had for $27000, a BASE model 300Z costs a tad over $27K, and go all the way up to $35K. Which is wierd because they use pretty much the same motor on all the Z trim levels, its just minor stuff here or there that gets upgraded.. I think the 300Z looks better, but don't tell my brother in law that, he's in love with his Mustang GT.
GM is in a position where it simply cannot afford to put forth first tier products for every brand and every market, so they have a lot of "competitive" vehicles. The G6 is yet another middle of the pack nothing-special car.
Pontiac "We Build Excitement" ..... right.
John

Yea, that's it exactly, "middle of the pack, nothing special car". That describes GM offerings for the last ten years (or longer). No wonder they can't sell cars.
I've been a "GM" guy all my life but I have been disappointed, to say the least, by their offerings for a long time. Unless you spend big bucks GM has nothing to offer that has even a bit of "excitement".
Sad but true.
--

Dave in Columbus

Very true
http://www.carforums.net/ Auto Forums
Bobby Kratchet wrote:

I know what you mean. I've been looking for a new/used car. For $25k US I can get a new G6 coupe or a two year old G35 coupe. http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/infiniti/2003/g35/coupe/home.shtml http://www.tuningnews.net/news/050106a/pontiac-g6-coupe-convertible.php

You are in the same boat as me with my '95 Chrysler Concord. It runs very well, I still like it so I'm keeping it some time longer.
As for those more powerful more efficient Japanese engines, read variable timing. Honda got into that design about 12 yrs ago; Toyota several years ago. These companies now use it on all their recent engines. Why it has taken the big 3 so long to get into it, only they know. The big 3 engine designers must be very frustrated with the slow progress of their companies; if they are even still around. I've read that Chrysler is finally coming out with VVT in their coming Caliper, getting "help" from 2 other non USA companies to design the engine.
Spam Hater wrote:

The engineers know how to do it, but the executives will not let them spend the money. Cadillac just recently started using VVT on the Northstar V-8 while the competition has had it roughly forever in modern times. Just as with overhead cam designs, detroit has been the last one to the party.
John
Your prejudice against the pushrod engines that GM puts in many of its products is baseless.
For example, The pushrod V6 that is in the Malibu makes more power and gets comparable or better real world mileage than the Japanese competitors 4-cylinder engines. (Source - Consumer Reports)
The OHV V8 in the Corvette is a superb engine by any standard as far as performance (power and mileage) is concerned.
I had a 2000 Yukon XL with the 5.3 L pushrod V8. It delivered 22 mpg at a steady 65 mph and 12 mpg city. we replaced it with a RX330 (DOHC, variable valve timing V6). The RX330 weighs some 1,000 lbs.less. It gets 24 mpg at 65 mph and 14 mpg city. Not much better considering it has much less weight to drag around and nowhere near the cargo capacity. .
The GM (Chevy) small-block is just a fantastically good and highly developed engine. GM has NOTHING to be ashamed of in using it and its derivatives...except to prejudiced individuals who care about technology and expense for the sake of technology. And they don't deserve any consideration.
- GRL

gets
err, I'm not sure to be proud of that or not. I know the japanese have a displacement limit on their motors, thus they are forced to do more with less, but american designers have made fat and lazy motors for a bit too long. Though I personally detest the over revvyness of low displacement import motors.

65
developed
and
Paradox wrote:

The Japanese manufacturers did have a 276 hp self-imposed limit for the home market. It has been abandoned. The only other limit I know of is a tax based on engine size such as used in Europe. That has nothing to do with anything other than a way for a government to separtae a citizen from his Yen or Euros. The fact is that most of GM's pushrod engines give excellent power and performance completely on par with the OHC and DOC variable valve timing competitors. They do tend to not rev as high (nor do they need to), but I personally prefer low end grunt over having to rev to 6 grand to get any power any day of the week on a daily commute. Weekend thrill rides are a different story and I like the willingness to rev of my 330i as much as the next man then.
- GRL
nopcbs wrote:

When you're used to the sweet music of the American V8, those high revving engines that scream like banshees sound more like sewing machines than boulevard cruisers! <lol>
nopcbs wrote: ... The fact is that most of GM's pushrod engines give excellent power and performance completely on par with the OHC and DOC variable valve timing competitors. They do tend to not rev as high (nor do they need to), but I personally prefer low end grunt over having to rev to 6 grand to get any power any day of the week on a daily commute.....
Cool Jet wrote: <<When you're used to the sweet music of the American V8, those high revving engines that scream like banshees sound more like sewing machines than boulevard cruisers! <lol>>>
Couple comments on this thread: (1) We have owned a 2005 G6 for about 6 months and have nothing but good things to say about it. It has great power, handles as well as our previous Audi A8, gets good mileage, is pretty quiet while having a great sounding stereo and cost us $20K - pretty good value, I think.
(2) My daily driver is a 1990 Avanti 4-door which came with an anemic 305 V8. I'm looking to upgrade to a "stroker" motor for more power. My research has me believing a well set-up 350 with Vortec Heads and TBI or EFI can provide 350+ HP, 375# torque and 20+ MPG, run on 87 octane, weigh less than 400 lbs and can be had for less than $3K. Pretty good, don't you think. Before I sell this thing for a new car, I think I'll try that set up to see what it does for the driving experience.
Happy New Year, everyone, RIchard
Richard Morris Renton, WA 2005 Pontiac G6 1996 Toyota Camry (daughter #1) 1994 Honda Passport (daughter #3) 1990 Avanti 4-door 1966 Mustang (daughter #2) 1964 Avanti R-1 1990 GMC 3/4ton P/U 2001 Suzuki Marauder 2004 Piagio LT150
snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com wrote:

I own a 2005 G6 too Richard and am really impressed with both its looks, performance and mileage. I'd highly recommend it.

Do they call that an Avanti II Richard? I've always had a soft spot for the Avanti because it is the only car that was ever built with that completely distinctive look from any other car ever built. Not at all like todays cars. Richard, I'd suggest that you consider GM's crate ZZ4 engine, which can be purchased at really reasonable prices in either fuel injection or carbureted versions. It comes out of the box with 355 hp & 405 lb.ft. of torque. And it has a 12 month warranty. I've been running one in my '63 Vette Roadster for 4 years now and it's bullet-proof.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Sounds like a decent enough value. Maybe for 2007 they will work on styling.
Bobby Kratchet wrote:

Bobby, taste in styling is 100% subjective but I really like the styling of all the G6's. My 4 door sedan is driven primarily by my wife, but I've offered to switch cars with her, for my 2003 Bonneville because I like the way the sedan drives and looks. Mind you, if the coupe had been out when I bought the sedan, I'd probably have bought it, because I think it is a great looking machine. My only concern with the coupe is the possible blind spot between the rear side windows and the rear window.
Cool Jet wrote:

Yeah, who can stand the sound of a Ferrari at full tilt. What an ugly sound, all that high rev banshee businees :).
Listen for yourself to a Testarossa:
http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/lotus/250/sounds/ferraritestarossa.wav
John Horner wrote:

Thanks for the invitation John, but I'll pass. I've heard the sound of just about every competition Ferrari ever built and most street versions, including F40's, Testarossas and Boxers and I have never liked the sound. I'm a product of American V8 muscle and I've never really liked the sound of Euro-exotics or Asian performance vehicles. It's an acquired taste I guess because, like you, many people prefer the sound of any Ferrari to any American V8. Similarly, many youngsters prefer the sounds of high-revving 4-bangers to American muscle. I just happen not to be one of them. Besides, if you follow the ALMS racing series, you'd know that Corvette consistently spanks the Ferraris.

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/lotus/250/sounds/ferraritestarossa.wav
Old school American cars are kewl. I ussually attend a huge car show here in Md each year, a couple of acres of cars trucks and M/Cs. There is also a section with japanese tuners and guess what 90% of the people are looking at admiring the American cars and 10% hang out around the tuners. Sure people go look at the tuners but most realize its really nothing much to admire about them so they go glance and head back over to look at the 32 Hi-boys or 69 Camaros or old hemi RoadRunners. Now I emphasize on old school American cars meaning pre1975, so most America cars after 1975 arent much to admire either. My point is V8s ar kewl, not practical today though unless driving a truck.

in
school
much
unless
I have to admit I can respect a kid pulling serious horses out of a 4 banger. Thing that turns me off about the whole tuner thing is that at an estimate 90% of them are into style more than substance.