Pontiac Grand Am 2001

My car ran out of gas now that we put gas in it it won't start. Can anyone help?

Reply to
vicaugus

I've seen the electric fuel pump go bad on cars when they have a lot of miles on them and then are run dry on gas. I would check the fuse for the fuel pump first, if that's ok you should see if it's getting any fuel from the pump. Also when you just turn the key on see if the pump can be heard at all.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

First off, shame on you; it is VERY bad to run a fuel injected vehicle out of gas. Now here's the remedy: The same thing happened to a buddy of mine with a 2001 Cavalier. What you have to do is build the fuel pressure in the system back up to what is necessary to power the engine(I think around 37-45 psi). How you do this is you repeatedly turn the key to the "run" position, but DO NOT START IT. That will only wreak havoc on your fuel system and starter. Leave it on

until you audibly hear the fuel pump safety switch turn off(the thing that kills your fuel line if your engine dies or if you are in a wreck). Do this about THIRTY times, and by then, the pressure should be built up enough to try and start it. If it does not start almost immediately,

assuming it's not cold out and all that, then repeat the previous step for about another five minutes or so. After you get the car running, make sure to have a mechanic inspect the fuel pump, as this procedure is very hard on it.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak