PONTIAC GRAND PRIX OVERDRIVE QUESTION

Hi, I was just wondering, is it normal that sometimes overdrive "engages itself" even at 35 mph on 3rd gear? It looks like in my 2002 GP 3.1 ES it
does, (well I guess this is it). After about a minute of driving at constant 35mph RPM falls down to about 1100-1200 car horibly lacks of power etc. I find it very annoying....
--
Raf