Pontiac Grand Prix Power Steering Whining & Groaning Noises Repair Guide

A few days ago I started hearing groans and whines coming from the engine bay of my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP sedan equipped with the GM 3800 Series II, Eaton M90 supercharged, L67 V6 engine.

I figured that it was either a failing power steering pump or a low power steering fluid level in the reservoir. It took a bit of work to access the p/s system's reservoir.

I took pictures of the process and posted them along with instructions in the gallery below.

Hopefully, it will help out anyone else who is having the same problem. Now my steering wheel is much easier to turn and there are no whining or groaning noises coming from the engine bay.

Cheers, Paul Michaels Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Reply to
Paul Michaels

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:00:49 -0700 (PDT), Paul Michaels cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

It's always good to see people document work with pictures. Very helpful for those who've never done it before and find themselves faced with the same task.

I might advise you though, to get under your car with a trouble light and take a look at the underside of your ps pump. Look for leaks at the pump and follow the lines, also looking for leaks. Power steering systems are closed loops and don't typically lose fluid for no reason. Generally - it's a leak.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

That is for sure, and I suspect that Michael may still find this to be the case.

I had a lot of problems with this with an earlier model Buick which seemed to lose fluid intermittently....at first.

It turned out to be a leak at the power steering pump shaft in that case, but there are lots of possibilities when you are losing PS fluid.

Reply to
HLS