Pontiac Sunfire 2001 decent car?

I'm looking at a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire as a first car for my daughter the student. This one has 34k on it, CarFax says it is clean and it looks and drives
fine as far as I can tell. It sure looks a lot faster with the spoiler and so forth than it drives, which is exactly what I want for her <smile>!
Any known gotchas with the L4 engine and auto transmission?
I do all of my own work on my cars BTW.
We were looking at the Grand Am's but the 3.4L and it's intake manifold gasket problems have scared us away. It seems just about every used Grand Am on the dealers lot's that I have looked at has had gasket troubles, at least the ones where the dealers let me see the service history of the car. It's just not worth the risk.
tia as usual..
psycho
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:07:21 GMT, psycho snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
I forgot.
We are also looking at the Jetta (2001-2002) as well.
Any other suggestions for a decent/sporty car that is either American (or as close as we can get this days ie:Mexico) or German?
I hate Jap. cars :(
tia
psycho
I bought a 1999 Sunfire for my daughter new in the fall of 1999. She now has about 55K on it. The only money, other than regular service (usually every 5k or so) has been brakes at 32K, one set of tires, and the passenger window came off track just recently. It's been a great little car for her, she drives the crap out of it. She did have both front speakers replaced under warranty (typical teenager playing the radio wide open all the time) I have been very pleased with the car for the money I paid.
Jerry H