Pontiac Transport Liftgate won't open

I have a '97 Pontiac transport and the rear lifgate will not unlatch. It has the electric locks and you can hear the unlock click, but it will not open. The hand latch does move, but it does nothing. Trying
to manually unlock with the key is to no avail, as the key will not turn at all. There does not appear to be any way to get to the latch short of starting to cut apart the interior. Has anyone every heard of such a problem? Any suggestions as how to get this open?
On 13 Oct 2004 12:34:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Zaf) wrote:

Sometimes the lock mechanism catches 1/2 way between locked and unlocked. I've had some success by using they key to the lock position while someone tries the power lock & then alternating while wiggling the door. BUT I've also had some where you've just gotta pull the panel off. (is there any push button that could be grabbed?) Best of luck
(Zaf) wrote:

No luck with your suggestion. No pushbutton on the rear liftgate and all the interior fasteners are covered when the liftgate is closed. I don't even know if I should take it to a body shop or a mechanic....
While working the key in the door lock have somebody poud on the inside of the tailgate round the lock area. Try the same thing on the outside as well.
Try pushing the lift gate in as you turn the key.
Try shooting W D 30 in the key hole and around the handle mechanism.
Something may have actually broke inside the door too.
Not sure what knid of clearance there is inside the vehicle but the rear panel may be able to be forced off while its closed. I'm sure repair shops have run into this sort of problem before.
Good Luck.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~294,824 miles_~_~_
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in message

Thanks Harry, I brought it to a mechanic friend who was tanacious enough to spend 30 minutes lubing and banging from the outside as you suggested and he was able to get it loose. It was all gummed up on the inside, but should be fine now.

Hey Harry !! where can I get that new stuff called WD 30 ??? :-) is it better than the 40 ?? Hey hey