Possible Drivability problem with 98 Chevy Venture

My 98 venture has 100,000 miles on it and I am just getting ready to replace the plugs - they have never been replaced and according to the maintenance schedule in my owners manual they are not due to be replaced until 100,000 miles - anyway generally speaking it has been running fine - the idle is getting a bit rough but I figure the plugs will correct that

Anyway one thing I am noticing is that the end of the tail pipe is black with carbon - this wouldnt bother me that much except that I have noticed on other vans of this model and vintage that this is not something that I see on them.

My knowledge of diagnosing and fixing driveability problems ended with the last car I owned that had a carberator and no computer - ( a 79 Firebird) - I am just wondering what the possible causes of this situation would be

Thanks in advance for any help

Reply to
donsjunkk

Your black tailpipe suggests carbon from unburned fuel. Your planned tune-up may well take care of it. H

Reply to
Hairy

I have the same year van also noticed the tailpipe carbon. I had the check engine light come on several times, then go off again a few trips later. Changing the plugs is a good idea, I changed mine already. A bit of advice, if you're going to change them yourself, be prepared for a bit of a battle. it's not that hard to do, just takes some time. I would also recommend changing the wires while your at it. As for me, the carbon is still there,next step is to replace the oxygen sensor. As soon as I can figure out which one should be changed.

Reply to
Matclark

Those engines have a chronic intake manifold gasket failure problem, which often lets antifreeze get into the oil and/or the combustion chambers.

As a basic precaution, pull and oil sample and have it analyzed for traces of coolant. You can do so for $20 using

or any of a number of other oil analysis companies.

As for replacing the plugs. Good idea, and the back ones are a PITA to get to. Have a look at a service manual first as it isn't as easy as on most vehicles.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Reply to