Power Steering Problem

Hi Everyone,
My Nephew accidently put brake fluid in the power steering pump. The power steering pump froze up. Does that mean that the rack and pinion is shot too?
Thanks,
Ken

Not likely. The pump is much different than the rack - it has moving parts that require lubrication and seals. The entire system will have to be thoroughly flushed though before refilling - after pump replacement, of course.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Ah - ok. Sorry, but I couldn't tell originally if you were someone who had never worked on a car and was hoping for an easy answer. What I'd do is remove the pump and let the lines drain from the rack as much as they will. Install the new pump and hook up only the pressure side, leaving the return side to dump into a bucket. Fill the pump and work the rack lock to lock repeatedly, filling the pump as you pump out fluid via the return line. Do this until the fluid is pumping out clean with no signs of water or brake fluid. Then I'd do it some more. Once you're confident you've displaced all of the brake fluid, attach the return line, top everything off and give her a run. Keep an eye on it over a couple of days and watch for fluid contamination indicating that you somehow did not get all of the brake fluid out. Absent that indicator, pat yourself on the back and your nephew on the head, and go grab a beer - on your nephew of course.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Thanks Mike.
That sounds like it it shouldn't be too hard.
Ken