Power window regulator motor

Need help with a power window regulator motor removal. I got the door panel off of a 95' Firebird Formula with no problems at all. This is after having replaced the power window switch first to see if that was the problem with the driver's side window. My hunch is that it is definitely the regulator motor that is the actual problem--because the window started operating really, really slow before it failed to go up at all. At any rate, once I removed the door panel and secured the sector gear by drilling a hole in it and placing a bolt through the hole, I drilled out the rivots that were attaching the regulator motor. But I still can't seem to get it loose. It's really hard to get to the thing, because I'm having to reach through these rather small access openings in the inner panel. Plus I'm concerned about the sector gear still. The Chilton's manual said that the spring-loaded sector gear can cause personal injury if it's not secured properly. I think I've got it secured good enough, but with no training or experience with this type of procedure, I'm not 100% sure of it. The manual says to raise the window half way up, and I'm assuming that you can't do that until the regulator motor his been removed completely. This little project has turned out to be a fairly substantial project instead! If I could just get this motor loose and replaced, I can put everything back together very easily.

Can anyone offer any advice other than take it to someone that knows what the H they're doing? :-) Seriously though, I'd like to be able to complete this myself in order to save about $300.00.

Thanks for any help that you can offer me gang.

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.

Well, after working at it for a long, long time, I got the old regulator motor off and the new one on. As it turns out, the section of my Chilton's manual for this procedure was of little if any use at all. My hunch was right that it was indeed the motor and not the switch. But I also replaced the switch while I had everything taken apart from the driver's side door.

At any rate, the driver's side power window now works properly again. Saved myself a little over $300.00 by doing this at home. Do I have some minor cuts and scrapes from this operation? YOU BET! But it was well worth it for the savings.

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.

Good for you. Always a good thing to hear of another DIY success story.

Reply to
Silver Surfer