Preventing rust over rear wheels, '98 Cheyenne

Just bought a '98 Cheyenne for a work truck that I'm pretty happy with, appears to have been driven mostly highway miles around here (Midwest). Most if not just about all of these trucks around here develop the
rust-out over the rear wheels. What is the cause/prevention for this? Has anyone ever drilled through the inner fenderwells to get to that area in between the walls of the box and blasted a bunch of undercoating in there? Seeing so many of them rusted in the same spot would suggest there's nothing can be done about it, but it seems like if a person took the time they could at least slow it down a lot. TIA
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (James Goforth) wrote in

Also perhaps drill some drain holes so the water will run out. I'm not sure if water collects at those areas. Water definitely gets in the bottom of the doors, so rust usually appears there also. Can drill drain holes under the doors.
-
Take you truck in for some rustproofing spray. Goto a place like rustcheck not those imitation places that just spray old engine oil. I know 30 yr old cars that have been sprayed for the past 20 years that show no signs of rust.
Snow...