Prizm 3-speed vs 4-speed auto trans

Threaded View

     How can I tell if the auto trans is 3 or 4 speed in a 90's Geo
Prizm or Chevy Prizm  ???

   I test drove a 94 Geo Prizm yesterday. The owner didn't know if it
was 3 or 4 speed.  The rpms were 2500 at about 60 mph.

Thanks

Re: Prizm 3-speed vs 4-speed auto trans

Count how many times it shifts.  Watch the tach and see how many times the
needle drops under full acceleration.

Re: Prizm 3-speed vs 4-speed auto trans

And, remember that the last 'rpm drop' may be a
TCC lockup rather than a gear change.

OTOH, what difference does it make -- does the
car meet your needs?
--
pj

Re: Prizm 3-speed vs 4-speed auto trans

   The seller claimed he got 32 mpg on his commute, mostly highway. I
am looking for 35 mpg or better.  Looking for perfection? Possibly.

  The seller was in the car during the test drive, puutting the a/c
on, talking, etc and making careful observation of the car difficult.
At first I thought I heard and felt it drop into fourth ( OD), but
then later it didn't do it again.  Also, the tach was up to 3,000 at
highway speed at one point ( 65, 70 mph???)  DUe to a/c being on ?

  All these variables..... That's why I was looking for an way way to
know about the trans. ( Like a certain number in the VIN, some
indicator on the gearshift, etc)

 The 4 speed auto trans is supposed to get significantly better mpg
than the 3 speed.   4 speed  =3D  36 hiway,     3 speed =3D  only  30 mpg
hiway, according to a government website.

btw, I've been frustrated trying to find a used car in decent shape
that gets over 35 mpg hiway.  They all seem to have the 3 speed auto
trans !!!   Although the 4 speed is supposed to be more common.

I drive 80 miles a day to work, which comes out to 4 grand a year in
gas at $4 a gal.  Either I need to get work closer to home, get a high
mpg car  ( my current car is great except it only gets 21 hiway)  or I
need to start loving the Exxon/ Mobil cartel.

Re: Prizm 3-speed vs 4-speed auto trans

  The seller was in the car during the test drive, puutting the a/c
on, talking, etc and making careful observation of the car difficult.
At first I thought I heard and felt it drop into fourth ( OD), but
then later it didn't do it again.  Also, the tach was up to 3,000 at
highway speed at one point ( 65, 70 mph???)  DUe to a/c being on ?

***************************
AC should not affect RPM.  Given the final drive ratio of some of the
smaller engines, 3k at 70 sounds about right.  My V-6 big cars can lumber
along at 2k or so but the little jobs have to wind up to put out power.

btw, I've been frustrated trying to find a used car in decent shape
that gets over 35 mpg hiway.  They all seem to have the 3 speed auto
trans !!!   Although the 4 speed is supposed to be more common.
*******************************

I've been frustrated trying to buy a decent used car at reasonable cost no
matter what fuel mileage.  I've taken to buying new, getting exactly what I
want and keeping the car for a long time, like 14 to 16 years.

Re: Prizm 3-speed vs 4-speed auto trans

IMHO you should be considering a manual transmission then, unless
there's some reason why you prefer driving an automatic.

I don't know if this is true of Japanese cars so much but German cars
at least of a decade or two ago had significantly better manual
transmissions than automatics because that is what the home market
buyers preferred.

nate

Re: Prizm 3-speed vs 4-speed auto trans

IMHO you should be considering a manual transmission then, unless
there's some reason why you prefer driving an automatic.

I don't know if this is true of Japanese cars so much but German cars
at least of a decade or two ago had significantly better manual
transmissions than automatics because that is what the home market
buyers preferred.

nate

**************************************
Used to be that the automatics required as much power at the little engines
could put out.  Today the automatics are much better and you to have a
chance at decent mpg and still get up to 65 mph before lunch time.

Re: Prizm 3-speed vs 4-speed auto trans

You couldn't count the shfts while you drove it?

--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Re: Prizm 3-speed vs 4-speed auto trans