Problem w/ keyfob 2000 Chevy truck

I thought that maybe the battery was bad so I bought a new one..replaced the old one and still no go..so I took the backup keyfob and the only thing that works is the 'panic' button on the keyfob (the red button).
Dont know if its the truck's alarm or the keyfob.
-Alex

I have read that at times when this happens, the remote needs to be 're-synced' to the car. Try holding the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together for several seconds until the horn chirps. Then see if the remote works.
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 21:28:14 -0500, 80 Knight wrote:

I cant believe it!!! That worked!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!! :)
-Alex

Glad to help. :)
If you're standing next to someone else's car, can you resynch someoen else's car to your fob?
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

That's actually fairly similar to a question that's been building in my mind.
I have two fobs from a '98 Regal that got totaled. I replaced it with an '03 Grand Am. The Grand Am only came with one fob and I'm hoping I can reprogram the Grand Am to work with the fobs from the Regal... or reprogram the fobs to work with the Grand Am - which ever way it really works. I'm interested in further discussion on this matter.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

No.

Crap.
Thanks Steve.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

No, sorry. The fob's are different for certain cars and years. For example, while your '98 Regal Fob would usually work for a '97 or '99 Regal, it would not work with a Grand Am at all, let alone an '03. The key in using Fob's is to look at the numbers on the back. You will see 'FCC ID' and other numbers. If the numbers on the old remote match the ones on the remote you found, then you will be fine. If not, it won't work. As for programming, that is not what you did. You 're-synced' your remote to your car. That means, that the remote was already programmed, but the car 'forgot' about it in a way. Its like when your cordless telephone stop's working, so you put it on the charger for several seconds, and it works again. To program a new Fob to your '03 Grand Am, you would need an exact replica of the one you have for it, and programming instructions. By the way, as to your last question, you program the *car* to work with the remote, but like I said, it has to be the exact same numbers as the one you already have. Hope this helped.

Actually, it was very helpful. Thanks.