Problem with 2001 Intrigue Transmission - 32000 miles

I have just had my transmission rebuilt on my 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue with 32000 miles. Seems that there is a problem with the transmission sending too much pressure to the torgue converter and eating up the clutches. At least that is how I understand what they told me. The problem started when the transmission started shifting hard and I took it in the next day to be checked. They found filings in the pan and filter. Eventually they ended up completely overhauling the transmission for $2804.82. Has anyone else had this problem? And has anyone been able to have GM help with the cost since it happened at such low miles?

Jerry J

Reply to
jerryj1226

I think you either misunderstood the explanation, or you just got a bogus BS answer.

And $2800 for a tranny rebuild also seems a little high. Did a GM dealership do this to you, or did you use some garage like Señor Transmission?

If you are within the warranty period, which I doubt,then GM should pay for the incident. If not, slim chance I think.

Reply to
<HLS

I am shocked at that mileage and cost. I think you should try for some sort of policy adjustment anyway. Remember, Olds is a defunct division. The transmission is five years old. That means five winters. You can damage a transmission beyond repair in five minutes or less using the wrong technique when stuck in the snow. GM would want to see the parts to start with. I mean a factory rep, not the dealer.

Reply to
Al Bundy

A solenoid was sticking because of dirt or metal filing so the transmission would build up pressure til it finally got to default of the highest pressure. Probably poor manufacturing or quality of parts. Anyway. The repair place was a local tansmission only shop with a good reputation. I could have gotten a new factory transmission with 1 year warranty or had mine rebuilt with upgrades and a 3 year warranty. I chose the rebuilt. The shop owner said that they had done 4 other 4T65E and the lowest miles was 60,000. Maybe my luck with this car will change from now on, I do like the car but am still stinging from the failure from GM.

Reply to
jerryj1226

Shocked is my feeling also. I will ask a GM dealer about any known problems or if GM might be able to help me. I have not rocked the car in snow or been abusive to it. I have driven over 45 years.

Reply to
jerryj1226

Don't know why you had to have it rebuilt, but there is a TSB on your car's transmission. The following is taken from

Section: 07 - Transmission/Transaxle Bulletin No.: 0O-07-30-002B Date: July, 2002

Subject: Slips, Harsh Upshift or Garage Shifts, Launch Shudders, Flares, Erratic Shifts and Intermittent Concerns, DTC P1811 or P0748 Set (Replace Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assembly)

Models:

1997-1999 Buick Riviera 1997-2002 Buick Park Avenue 1998-2002 Buick LeSabre 1999-2002 Buick Regal 2000-2002 Buick Century 2002 Buick Rendezvous 1997-2001 Chevrolet Lumina 1997-2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1999-2002 Chevrolet Venture 2000-2002 Chevrolet Impala 1997-1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight 1997-2002 Oldsmobile Silhouette 1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue 2001-2002 Oldsmobile Aurora (3.5L) 1997-2002 Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Prix 1999-2002 Pontiac Transport/Montana 2001-2002 Pontiac Aztek with Hydra-Matic 4T65-E (RPOs MN3, MN7, M15, M76)

Condition: Some owners of the above vehicles with a HydraMatic 4T65-E transaxle may comment on harsh upshifts or harsh garage shifts, soft shifts, shudders on hard acceleration, or shifts erratic. These conditions may appear intermittently or set a DTC P1811 or P0748. During diagnosis, a low or high line pressure (actual versus desired) may be observed.

Cause: The above condition may be due to any one of the following which may affect line pressure output:

a.. Sediment inside the pressure control (PC) solenoid valve, causing the PC solenoid valve to mechanically bind. b.. Sediment in the valve body, causing the torque signal regulator valve to stick. c.. Incorrect transaxle oil level.

Reply to
doug

Since you had the repairs done at a non-GM shop and without GM having any chance to examine the unit there is pretty much ZERO chance of getting some factory money to help with the problem.

In the future the first thing to do would be to find out if the dealer and/or GM will help you any.

It sucks, but that is pretty much how it is.

John

Reply to
John Horner