problem with a/c

I have a 2000 Pontiac Montana, when the van is running and it heats up the fan doesnt come on, when you press the A/C Button the fan doesnt come on
either, I also dont hear the compressor kick in and out and the air isnt cold. Could the relay be bad?

bad relay or bad fan motor, or fuse.
Checked the fuses, good, direct wired both fans, they work, so I guess that leaves out the relay.

Did you check the compressor clutch to see if it has engaged? May need charging. Also if both are nonfunctional I would check the fuse first.

If the A/C was empty than at least I would have a coolant fan when the vehicle reaches its temperature.
"Micah" <hopper.net> wrote in message

It is conceivable that you have two unrelated problems. Check the charge and eliminate one of them. Things can go to crap over the winter.
how can I tell if a relay is bad? I cant switch it with another one in the fuse box because there is only one like this one.

Pull the relay. It should have a 12 VDC coil. Look on the side of it. There should be a diagram showing the coil & contacts. Put voltage to the coil. If it closes the coil is good. Check the contacts for continuity. The diagram should show which side is normally open & closed. If the fuse has not blown I would look for a temp sensor in the radiator. Check it & connection. I would think that the relay is not getting voltage to close. An electrical schem would help out a lot if you or someone has one for the Montana.

There are 6 DTC (service codes) that deal with the engine coolant system (four related to the coolant temp and one for each fan relay). When you're moving down the road, the air flows through the radiator and the temp gauge will stay constant, equal to the thermostats opening temperature (the gauge will go higher initially, until the thermostat opens). When the vehicle is setting still, the gauge will climb until the PCM decides to turn the fans on. This can sometimes be 3/4 or more up the gauge. If you are experiencing large temp movements up and down as you accelerate and stop, you are probably low on fluid or have air trapped.
The A/C system must have a Freon leak. The most common place in vans like yours is the condenser. It breaks at the upper passenger side, where it mounts to the front of the radiator. Look for oil and dirt in that area. The service bulletin fix, is to replace the condenser and leave that bolt out. Three mount bolts are enough.
This vehicle already has had the recall service done there is a sticker under the hood on the radiator support.
Also, when set at idle, it will reach the red mark (after about 15 minutes), this is as high as I will allow it to go because I get moving on the road, then it goes back down to normal and stays.
I dont know about the service to the AC condenser, I havent read anything, I am planning on buying a gauge and checking to see if it is even low or out completely of freon.