Problem with Data Link Connector on 1994 Chevy Lumina Van

Year: 1994 Make: Chevrolet Model: Lumina Van Engine: 3.8 Liter

When I try to start the van in the morning, I get a check engine light and it sputters for a few seconds and then quits running. Sometimes it takes up to four or five times and then it starts with no check engine light.

I want to see what the codes are by shorting terminal A and B together on the Data Link Connector. I have a Chilton book for 1990 to 1999. It has a diagram for the 12 pin DLC showing where A and B are supposed to be, but when I look at my Van there is not a wire going to where B is supposed to be. There are only three wires going to the DLC on my van. I have two wires on the last two rows of the DLC and one wire two positions from the bottom right. This connector is in clear view under the dash on the drivers side of the steering column. Does anyone know what two wires I should short together? Can anyone help me?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

This be one of them. This vehicle uses ALDL8192 communications. Easiest solution is to take it somewhere and have the codes read. I suggest a garage with a mechanic and not your local part store.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Ken,

Nearly all 1994/95 GM cars are set up this way. They use the old OBD1 ALDL connector WITHOUT the "B" lead, so no counting flashes of the "Check Engine" light to acquire codes. Even more weird is that a number of these vehicles, including 1994/95 VIN Code "L" 3800 V6s, have an ECM that outputs OBDII type fault codes - so an ODBI code reader is electrically OK but cannot make any sense of the data stream.

Best thing is to take the vehicle to a repair shop with the proper equipment to read the ECM. All the commercial readers can, with the proper cartridge/software, cope with these what I call "OBD1.5" systems, where as damn few consumer-grade readers can.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

P.S. I do feel your pain on this: I have a 1994 Regal with the same engine and ECM setup.

Reply to
William H. Bowen