problem with TCS

I have a problem with my Traction control system, this didnt start untill the snow cleared from the ground, but now when I drive it when I take off from a dead stop the "service traction control" light comes on and the ABS light comes on.... This didnt happen when we had snow on the ground, and it worked normally, the front tires are almost completely worn out, could this have somthing to do with it?

Reply to
abomb69

I'm pretty sure that when the ABS goes out it will knock out the TCS as the TCS uses the ABS system to apply the brakes to the slipping tire to stop the spin and transfer torque to the other side. I would check the ABS first, probably bad ABS sensor or connection to it. First guess would be that you may have hit something that broke the wire.

Reply to
Micah

It dont work at all now, I mean as soon as you get past 10mph all the lights come on. you dont even have to spin.

Reply to
abomb69

You don't have to spin for the lights to come on. If it doesn't read anything from the sensor the light will come on.

Reply to
Micah

I just drove it 15 miles and the light didnt come one once, but earlier today I went to the post office and before I got out of our addition the lights were on..

Reply to
abomb69

So... did you check the leads to the hub as has been suggested, twice?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Ignore every response to this post and check the codes. If you don't have the tools to do it, take it to someone who does. It could be any number of things and any guess as to what it is without know the Daces is just that, a guess.

I do agree it's most likely a problem with one of the wheel sensors, but who knows which one and what the problem is without the code.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Ouch! Steve - with the common occurrence of ABS sensor leads breaking and/or separating, why would you consider it inappropriate for the OP to make that simple check before getting into it further?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The thing is it only seems to happen every now and then, like yesterday I drove it about 25 miles round trip to get my daughter and the light never came on. But the same day earlier I went to the post office downtown and the light came on.....I've found that if you start coasting before you give it gas from a dead start the light dont come on, if you just let off the brake and give it gas than it comes on.

Reply to
abomb69

Hmmm, my 2001 Grand Am reduces the engines torque out put to reduce wheel spin, it does use the ABS sensors to sense wheel spin however.

Reply to
doane_nut

Irrelevant. Time and time again I see posts to the effect of: "my MIL is on, what's wrong?" Then comes post after post of check this, check that. Waste of time. Find out why the light is on first, then start the diagnostic procedure.

If anything, it'll save from checking three perfectly fine wheel sensors. ;)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie