Programming New Keys

Do any of you out there have any information on the possible programming procedure for new keys on an 07 Malibu?

Reply to
Ted

The following assumes that you are keeping the existing RF code and key pattern for new keys.

Best bet would be to see a good master locksmith. Haven't seen it done on an 07 but recent GM keys are as follows:

Read the binary code from an existing key and program that into a new blank; then, cut the blank with a conventional key cutter. New keys take only a couple of minutes and you'll save enough for a nice dinner if you bypass the dealer.

If, however you want to re-key the car then it's more expensive. Locksmith can advise whether it's less costly to recode the electronics or the physical key patterns.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

I already got the new keys cut but they don't start the car...the computer starts flashing etc. So more clearly, I'd like to know the steps for reprogramming the keys' chip.

Reply to
Ted

Bonded/licensed locksmith read the code from the old key. Then wrote that code into the new key.

It appeared to be RFID technology like the chip in my dog's neck. Difference is, the dog's chip is read-only while the car key is read-write. Write enable probably uses an encryption system that prevents a hacker from making a duplicate while your car goes through the car wash.

The replacement key didn't have GM marking--was a generic looking blank. Identification of the new blank required two steps. First the stamped code on the shaft of the old key and second a look-up of the car's VIN in a large list of makes/models. (Are you sure you have the right blank?)

If the guy does his job right, you'll prove ownership of the car and provide photographic I.D. with a name that matches the registration. If he/she doesn't do it that way, call the cops.

-- pj

Reply to
pj