Project "Monte Lives" has begun...

Turned the Monte over today, started up fine. Must have just seized up from lack of oil. I'm convince the oil pump is toast but no time to diagnose and
repair.
Picked up a new motor today. 1995 3.4L DOHC from a junk yard. $1,150.00CDN tax in. Has ~135,000kms on it, to replace the 250,000km engine in my car. Once I get it out I'll try to figure out what's wrong, if it's something easy I'll just fix it and have a spare motor. If not, I'll just scrap it. Stripping all the good parts of course (sensors, etc.). I'll will be pulling the new timing belt of the old motor and putting on the new, setting the timing at the same time, not after the fact. I'll pull my waterpump and use it. I'll see if I can goop some sealant under the oil pump drive shaft to prevent the inevitable oil leak.
But here's a good question: Do I use the flexplate from the old engine on the new one, or do I use the flexplate that's on the new motor? I have heard two different things from different sources: 1. The flexplate matches the torque converter 2. The flexplate matches the crank.
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

Why don't you just pull the rear head off and fix it right? It won't take long with the engine out.
> But here's a good question: Do I use the flexplate from the old

I don't know who you are talking too, but flexplates don't have to match anything. If the engines are from identical applications, you could use either one. Personally, I'd use the one from your original engine.
Ian
Steve, this engine is internally balanced, flex plate not an issue.

-