Quality.

PADS, PADS, PADS, Im tired of hearing about pads. Just like every thing else there's different grades and quality. Some better that others. You get what you pay for. Has any one known a car to come off the assembly line with the top of the line best tires? Not I. Remember when Ford tried to blame all their problems on Firestone?

I was talking with my mechanic the other day who I have a great deal of respect for and he assured me that every car company has their problems. I think people are focusing on GM these day because of their financial losses. Seems every car company has their ups and downs. Remember Chrysler in the 70's and 80's? Ford, well I'm still waiting for them to come out with something I like. I have faith in GM and believe they will do what they need to, to pull them selves out of this mess. I have always driven GM cars and probably always will. I think GM builds quality cars. In fact I have my eye on a new Grand Prix. My current Pontiac is still going strong with 157K and am looking forward to taking it on a 900 mi road trip next week end to Vegas.

Best Wishes, A GM lover!!

Reply to
Thomas

This post is a bit O.T., but it does apply to GM and to computers. Here's a cute joke that has been circulating for awhile:

To those who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

  1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

  1. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3 . Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and re-open the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

  1. Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to re-install the engine.

  2. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

  1. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

  2. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

  1. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

  2. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

  1. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Reply to
StingRay

This has been around for quite a while, but still funny. Thanks for posting it! The sad part though is that #9 has actually come true (in part) since then!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The 40 years just sort of "happened". Reasonably decent working conditions, good pay & benefits, and most importantly, excellent people to work with. The next thing you know, 40 years goes by. Thanks for the kind words about the site. I'll try to get more pictures up soon.

David Starr

Just repeat after me class, GM is perfect and does not wrong. Now drink you juice class ......

Reply to
John Horner

Meet Federal standards ... that old excuse?

You really need to get a job with GM's PR department as your thought process seems perfectly in sync with such a role.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Not even close. It was the success of the original Ford Taurus which triggered the complete redesign of the automotive landscape into jelly-bean cars. The Taurus cribbed much of it's look for the niche market Audis.

John

Reply to
John Horner

It is interesting that some unnamed person on the 'net who goes only by "No One You Know" tries to make his arguments with ad hominem attacks on anyone with different views.

Screaming Troll at people really does not impress anyone.

John

Reply to
John Horner

David, I couldn't agree with you more. Having excellent people to work with means the difference between looking forward to going to work and having to go to work. I was lucky enough to get a full retirement package after 35 years but I can actually say that I miss the job and the people. Like you, I have taken an interest in photography, but of the digital variety. Unlike you, so far I have been focused on small game shots. Last week it was a baby rabbit in the back yard and a baby robin that was old enough to fly, but it's mother (father?) was still getting worms for it. Today it was closeups of some bumble bees and a couple of humming birds in the back yard. I keep checking the back yard for big cats, but no luck so far!

Reply to
StingRay

There is a bit of truth in this. Stock single-piston brakes are utter crap, btw, and usually undersized for the application. Before looking at alloy rims or better rubber, consider a simple caliper and pad upgrade.(looks cool, too)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

This, though, does describe my old 84 Buick. Lol.

Given that 90% of the remaining roads are occupied by gamers... ;)

My 84 had this "feature" as well.

That would be my dad's 96 Park Ave. Sometimes the locks and keyfob have a mind of their own.

That would be a Pruis ;)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

LMAO! Joseph, it would appear that there are some cars with character in your family!

Reply to
StingRay

I thought it was Kool-Aid

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Ah yes, I forgot about that. Chrysler did a better with the style though, I thought.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

10-1 odds his mechanic is named Bill Gates!
Reply to
James C. Reeves