Question about 3400 gasket/cooalant leak etc....

I'm buying a 2003 Buick Rendezvous and reports of this problem are the only thing that worries me.

Is there something I can other than keeping a close eye on oil/coolant levels?

Should I have my Mech power flush out Dexcool and put in conventional coolant (green stuff)?

Also, a side question.

Can I use sythetic (specifically MOBIL 1) engine and Tranny fluid on the

3400? I coming from a Ford, which has been nice to me but I like the Buick as my next car.

Thanks all.

It (especially the AWD) has the worst accleration and fuel economy of all the SUVs out there. I have a 2002 to get rid of as soon as possible.

Doesn't matter that you keep a close eys or not, the gasket is going to leak no matter what.

No, that will void your warranty all together.

Reply to
DL

Reply to
stuart8181

The 2003 should have the new style gaskets in it and they are supposed to alleviate the problem.

=A0=A0=A0=A0>It (especially the AWD) has the worst fuel

Not really, that honor goes to the Land Rover.

Yes, your chances of problems are greatly reduced if you either: flush the dexcool out and replace it with regular anti-freeze or flush the system and replace the Dexcool religiously every 5 years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first). A word of caution though, if you install ethelene glycol antifreeze (the green stuff), it may void your warranty

- talk to your dealer before doing it.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B