question about stab bar bushing

My '01 Impala base just got the front stabilizer bar bushings replaced as it made noise when going over bumps. The new parts cheap, but 1.5hr labor.
Don't know what's coming next with this GM crap.
The car only has 45K miles on it. To my knowledge, the bushing shouldn't go bad until after some 100K. Just curious what could make this happen so early. Quality of the original parts? GM's super assembly standard? or the car been used too much on rough roads? (not the case for me as the 2nd owner).
Thanks.
Simon wrote:

This is nothing new. Stabilizer bar bushings have been making noise since I've been in the trade. If you can't stand the noise, get it fixed.
Ian

I had a 2003 Malibu LS that had front end noise from the time it was new. Same symptoms. The seemingly smallest imperfections in the road created an unusually loud noise. Sometimes I would look in the rear-view mirror to see what I hit (I didn't always feel anything).
That 1.5 hour labor charge seems a bit much, although I concede that some cars have unusual configurations that make repairs very tedious.
Usually, stabilizer bushings are a snap to replace.
If I can find the polyurethane or composite replacements, I will go with them next time, out of curiosity as much as anything else.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Yes, the Impala is actually not that bad to do. Some of the other lines are not as nice. The J-bodies have to have the subframe dropped in order to get at the bushing clamps. On the Impala it's fairly simple. But as simple as it is, I doubt that any place will do it for under at least an hour labour. 1.5 does sound a little high, but I don't have access to the warranty labour rates at home....so it's hard to tell.
Ian

I have some labour times here:
Mitchell on Demand says: Front Suspension Stabilizer Bar - 1.8hrs regular, 1.4hrs warranty, skill B Stabilizer Bar Bushing - 0.8hrs regular and 0.7hrs warranty, skill B Stabilizer Bar Control Link - Both, 1.0hrs regular, 0.7hrs warranty, skill B Stabilizer Bar Control Link - One Side, 0.7hrs regular, 0.5hrs warranty, skill B
ALLData says: Front Suspension Stabilizer Bar - 1.6hrs, skill C Stabilizer Bushing - One or Both, 0.8hrs, skill C Stabilizer Link - Both Sides, 0.6hrs, skill C Stabilizer Link - One Side, 0.5hrs, skill C
Link, sport, 10403402, $17.19US Link, soft, 10285683, $12.77US Bush, sport, 10289145, $6.37US Bush, soft, 10287711, $6.37US
Usually ALLData lists warranty times as well, but in the case of the stabilizer bushings it does not.
That was fun,
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

I love the "skill" ratings. That must be a holdover from the days when they attempted to rate what jobs could be done by the "pro" and what could be done by the 6 dollar an hour guy. They attempted that years ago up here in Canada, but it was a dismal failure. Basically what happened was that they farmed out the easy work (brake jobs) to the low paid guys and got the "pro's" to do the shit work, like all the warranty engine work. Gee, I wonder who was going to end up making more money. Of course, when the brake jobs all started coming right back up the dealerships ass because of poor workmanship, and the "pro's" were taking off to other dealerships that didn't subscribe to this insane way of doing things.....the system was tossed out the door. Some of these so-called "efficiency" and/or business experts are total idiots when it comes to the real world of technicians and flat rate. I would probably still be at that dealership to this day if they hadn't started in with this idiocy.
Ian

I had no idea you were in Canada also, where?
Steve Mackie wrote:

Calgary.
Ian