Question: How do a make this alternator fit?

I have what is most likely a dumb question, but I haven't been able to get an answer anywhere else. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out. Here it goes: the alternator went in my 1991 Buick Skylark with the 4 cyl

2.5. So I ordered what I was told was a suitable used replacement, but I got it, and it doesn't line up properly for it to fit. The back of it (non pulley side) is 120 degrees off. I'm suspecting that it is possible to rotate it, so I took of the three screws on the sides of it, but I can't rotate it the full 120 degrees because the two parts of the outer casing hit. Is there a trick to this? Do I just have to take the nut off the pulley so I can pull the case apart and rotate? That's what I'm going to try when I get back from the hardware store with the socket I need, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance. Chris
Reply to
Chris Sweeney

sounds more like you got the wrong Altenator. GM was doing funny things back in the 90's. For example an altenator for a 90 Bonneville won't fit a 91, a 91 won't fit a 92. They kept changing the bracket designs.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~265,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Mike Levy

Sounds like they gave you an alternator that is "clocked" wrong for your application. They should be able to look up the "clocking" for your car in their application book. The "clocking" refers to the position of the mounts on the alternator and is done by the clock (as in 5, 6, 7, etc). Many of the alternators are identical except fo this one thing.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B