Question on solevent cleaners

I have some 99% alcohol from a drugstore (this is not rubbing alcohol, which has moisturizers added.) Would it be good for cleaning gunked-up PCV valves
and the like? Or should I use a petroleum product such as diesel fuel? Is WD-40 any good for this kind of thing?
P.S., I know it's better to buy new PCV valves because they're usually cheap, but sometimes that just isn't an option.
If it rattles it is good , if it does not it is no good. On Wed, 31 May 2006 13:14:11 -0500, "Adam Corolla"

which
valves
Is
Just use some kerosene, or paint thinner, or even gasoline. Ugh-oh, there's going to be a big hoopala over suggesting using gasoline as a solvent...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Adam Corolla wrote:

Alcohol is not really a petroleum solvent. Neither is diesel or wd-40. To remove pcv gunk you really need to use a good petroleum solvent: toluene, xylene, mek, acetone, benzene, ethyl-benzene, or gasoline. Or you could just buy a can of carb cleaner spray.

Best thing I have ever used is Brake-Clean

Carbon tet?
" Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul

Sweet, I actually have acetone on hand! It's good for removing dried super-glue as well.