Questionable service advice

HI- I have a 2002 Envoy, 76k miles. I recently took it in to the dealer with a 'service engine soon' light. No big deal. But they recommended, based on last service and mileage, the following:

-fuel filter - which I think it does need

-fuel injection and throttle body cleaning **this is the questionable one

Now, since I don't have any lag in performance or heavy idles, how would I ever know if I need this? I don't drive it hard and maybe fill it up every 2 weeks.

This same service was done at 48k since it had never been done before and my father, who owned it previously, put 40k on it in 1 year!!

I'm thinking we could do this at 100k; but how do you know, especially on the throttle body, without actually looking at it? I can find nothing in the owner's manual about cleaning the fuel injection-it doesn't even list a throttle body.

Thanks!

Reply to
kb2002envoy

Shep

Service shops always have a list of money makers that they try to sell anyone that comes in. Get to know your car. Dirty throttle body will show up as sticking accelerator in the morning. Sort of hangs up when you first press it. My feelings with injectors is leave them alone unless you have a problem or use cheap fuel. Why do you think you need a new fuel filter. This isn't the 50's. Clean fuel and closed fuel systems has practically eliminated this need. My Honda doesn't have a replicable fuel filter. These are all pocket stuffers for the service department. They need to replace the income lost by more reliable cars....

Reply to
Woody

Thanks a lot! I just heard the same thing from a mechanic friend. Good advice.

Reply to
kb2002envoy

Thanks a lot! I just heard the same thing from a mechanic friend. Good advice.

Reply to
kb2002envoy

You know, the accelerator does slow in the morning but it's been so cold here that I chalked that up to the weather. The truck has had a history of running high and then settling down after a few minutes, every so often in the cold. I am going to have my mechanic friend look at the throttle body to see if' it's actually dirty. The dealer told me it was a 15-20k miles job, the websites I found said 30k. So I think the only way I can tell right now is to look. We have decided to replace the fuel filter every 50k, so we have about 30k left on that. I do use the cheapest fuel - maybe should upgrade?

Thanks for your advice - we love the Envoy but it is defintely had a longer shop record than our Jetta or Audi. We've never had a Japanese car. My parents have a Toyota and a Lexus - never ever in the shop. hmmmmm

Reply to
kb2002envoy

Reply to
Shep