Radiator fan continues to run

I own a '07 Saturn Aura XR that has 155K miles on it. A week ago it started doing something strange. The issue I'm experiencing only happens about 60% of the time. What I've noticed is this - after I turn off the engine and remove the key, the radiator fan continues to run for about 3 to 4 minutes. Sometimes, just before shutting off the car, I'll notice that the temperature gauge is pointed higher then usual. I'm worried that one of these times the fan will not shut off and I'll come out to a dead battery. Luckily, this hasn't happened yet. So far I've noticed that the fan will shut off a few minutes after turning off the engine. And, like I said, it doesn't do this every time I shut off the car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the radiator fan continues to run even after turning the car off and the key removed? Thanks so much for the input!!

=============================================================== =============================================================Is the engine running hotter than usual? IIRC, some fans will run until the temperature gets down a bit. Check the sensor also.
On Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:04:04 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hmm, I have noticed that the engine does seem to be running slightly hotter than is has in the past. . . I figured that the fan continuing to run had something to do with this fact. . .
On 10/19/2012 10:49 AM, Shawn wrote:

The fan running is a result of being hotter (not the other way around.) Check coolant level. Check for obstructions and debris in the radiator. Check for coolant level and condition.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Which is telling you that the engine is running too hot. Did you check the coolant level? How about a collapsed hose, bad thermostat, clogged radiator or something else clogged. The fan is doing you a favor by cooling your overheated engine. You need to find the cause of the overheating.