Radiator fan continues to run

I own a '07 Saturn Aura XR that has 155K miles on it. A week ago it starte= d doing something strange. The issue I'm experiencing only happens about 6=

0% of the time. What I've noticed is this - after I turn off the engine an= d remove the key, the radiator fan continues to run for about 3 to 4 minute= s. Sometimes, just before shutting off the car, I'll notice that the tempe= rature gauge is pointed higher then usual. I'm worried that one of these t= imes the fan will not shut off and I'll come out to a dead battery. Luckil= y, this hasn't happened yet. So far I've noticed that the fan will shut of= f a few minutes after turning off the engine. And, like I said, it doesn't= do this every time I shut off the car. Does anyone have any suggestions a= s to why the radiator fan continues to run even after turning the car off a= nd the key removed? Thanks so much for the input!!
Reply to
Shawn

============================================================== Is the engine running hotter than usual? IIRC, some fans will run until the temperature gets down a bit. Check the sensor also.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hmm, I have noticed that the engine does seem to be running slightly hotter than is has in the past. . . I figured that the fan continuing to run had something to do with this fact. . .

Reply to
Shawn

than is has in the past. . .

The fan running is a result of being hotter (not the other way around.) Check coolant level. Check for obstructions and debris in the radiator. Check for coolant level and condition.

Reply to
PeterD

Which is telling you that the engine is running too hot. Did you check the coolant level? How about a collapsed hose, bad thermostat, clogged radiator or something else clogged. The fan is doing you a favor by cooling your overheated engine. You need to find the cause of the overheating.

Reply to
kingrufus